1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

1st Try at Sketchup I'm Really Confused!

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by dugd1013, Jan 15, 2011.

1. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

I watched the entire Sketchup tutorial and thought I had a basic grasp of the concepts. After (6) hours of scratching my head I'm more confused now than before. I thought that building half of the wing and making a copy, flipping, pasting was suppose to save effort! I must have missed something? I guess I need a better understanding of the compnent functions. After making the wing half and moving them into position I cant seem to be able to delete the center line. Is it possible that I may have tried too many functions to recover back to where I can edit that line at without making the whole object disappear? Lastly, I used the flatten tool at one point on one of the wing copies, now I can't seem to do anything with it. I did have two bugsplats present themselves while working the file, do those event kill the whole file?

Why does the 24 x 36 template area look like a square? Shouldn't it look like a rectangle? The dimensions are showing it's a rectangle. Attached files Raptor 1.skp (26.6 KB)Â

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Explode the part, or double click on it to edit the component. If they are turned into components before you are done with them you can't really work with them

3. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

First off, you should be using SU v7.1. That should take care of your bug splats. SU 8 doesn't seem to be very stable and a lot of people have reported bug splats in this version.

When you align your 2 wings up together, explode both parts (right click parts and select explode) and the 2 parts will combine into one part, bow you can delete the center line. Triple click and make a group or component of your new part.

If your rectangle looks like a square, try changing your camera view. I work in Parallel Projection. Select Camera at top and try different angles.

4. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Thanks guys. I went back and worked up the parts again from right angle measurements. That was a little tedious but, not too hard. I'll try the suggestions mentioned above and see if I can produce like results. Thanks for the advice.