1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

3D carving

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by periscope, Dec 1, 2014.

1. periscope

periscope New Member

Hey guys, new member here.

I used SketchUCam for generating g-code for straight flat cutting before. But I have a project now where I need to carve out ripple out of the wood in 3D. I was running some 3D tests using simple box with hole in it to test 3D g-code generation and got nice multi-pass 3D g-code generated. However there are too many passes essentially going over the areas that had been already cut out. It takes like 5 passes to carve out the box yet there are 15 passes in total where last 10 passes do nothing else but go over the same path over and over. Any idea what could be causing this behavior?

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

post the files

3. periscope

periscope New Member

Thank you for reply. This is the test file with a box. I can not use pocket as final file will have organic shape. I viewed the tool paths in OpenSCAM. I am using Sketchup 14.0 and Phlatboyz Tools (SketchUCam) 1.2.

Attached Files:

• box.skp
      File size:
      142.4 KB
      Views:
  4. periscope

periscope New Member

One more thing that puzzles me is that I don't see anywhere in the generated g-code feed rate. It shows in the header that feed rate should be 80" but there is no F80 parameter anywhere in the generated g-code. Why would that be and how could I fix that? Thanks.

5. swarfer

aha, congratulations, you found a bug! problem in the multipass code. I'll send you a new version later when I think I have it sorted.
    as to doing 50 passes when fewer are required, this generator has no smarts whatsoever so it doesn't know when the deepest feature is finished. You can do the thinking though, by setting the material thickness to the depth of the deepest feature, then it will stop 'early'. Remember that for 3D the top of the material is always Z zero.

6. swarfer

gah, scrap that, it does not work!
    fixed the bug, and also found a simple way to stop the multipass when there is nothing more to cut.
    one thing to note! I consistently get some weird surface artifacts unless I set the material thickness thicker than it actually is.
    for example if using 0.625" material, set to 0.725 before generating Gcode, and set Z zero using a 0.1 spacer on top of the material.
    This will 'cut' the entire top surface, but will prevent gouges. I cannot find where the gouges are coming from, yet.

see private message for download link for a beta version with these fixes.

7. periscope

periscope New Member

Alright. Thanks. I'll give it a try.