1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

3D Grow BOT

Discussion in 'PhlatLAB LIVE shows' started by kram242, May 26, 2011.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

We introduce the 3DGrowBot which is going to be the newest machine in the Phlat Family. We are bringing manufacturing back to America one affordable machine at a time! We go through the history of 3D printing and share some of the research we have been doing. You can watch our progress every Wednesday night at 8:00 pm EST right here in the Phlatlab. www.phlatforum.com Thanks for hanging out! Mark and Trish Carew

You can talk about the Growbot here:
    http://www.phlatforum.com/viewforum.php?f=284&start=0

[pre] <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="480" height="296" id="utv328407" name="utv_n_176850"><param name="flashvars" value="loc=%2F&autoplay=false&vid=14960112&locale=en_US&hasticket=false&v3=1" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf" /><embed flashvars="loc=%2F&autoplay=false&vid=14960112&locale=en_US&hasticket=false&v3=1" width="480" height="296" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" id="utv328407" name="utv_n_176850" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object> [/pre] Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

WOW!

Great and exciting show.

3. kram242

Thanks Buk :good:
    This is going to be AWESOME!!!!
    Mark and Trish

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I watched the show, Mark, but didn't get how it works. I understand you have a LCD projector that project what? What your monitor is showing? If so, how does that gets translated into the laser or uv beam (that is what is being used to harden the resin, right?)?

BTW, what kind of projector was it? It's strong enough to project on an outside wall? If so, I must get me one of those.

5. 7up

Yoram, imagine a bowling pin in SU and SU would slice that bowling pin from bottom to top in very thin slices. Each one of those slices woud get projected, one at a time, into the resin, one slice on top of the previous slice, allowing enough time between projections for the previous slice to harden. This would continue until the top slice is reached and your model is complete.

Like Mark said, it really is pretty simple.

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Buk, I understood that, what I don't understand is how the projector gets converted into the UV light. If I understood it correctly, it's a 'run of the mill' projector that Mark and Trish used to watch TV on their outside wall. Just projecting the slice onto the resin makes it getting hard? There is a UV component involved, right?

I still would like to know what the projector is, thought :D

7. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

I am missing that explanation, too, Yoram. If the resin requires UV to set it, then is there some sort of lens that filters out everything but UV?

I am not concerned - the PhlatBoyZ have taught us all pretty much everything we know about CNC, so I am certain that they will teach us what we're missing on this, too, in due time.

I went to bed last evening with my mind reeling over what I saw on the PhlatLab show. Imagine all of the goodies we'll be able to create with this thing!!!

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Maybe it has something to do with that lens Mark was talking about.

Yoram, I'm not sure the exact model # of the projector but he said Tiger direct and the box had acer on it. I saw a DLP Acer projector on Tiger Direct for $300. Maybe that is the one??

9. pagercam

pagercam New Member

Either there is enough UV in the projection (unlikely as UV can cause eye damage and while the lamps used generate significant amounts of UV there filters in the projectors to bring the UV down to safe levels) or he plans to remove the filter or use another light source with sufficient levels of UV. This would require removal of the UV filters making it unsafe to use for movie night without adding the UV filters back.

The lenses will bend the light differently depending on wavelength (frequency) so the proper focus for visible light won't be the best focus for UV, so might have to adjust the optics to account for UV (red doesn't focus the same as green or blue either and that is a big part of projector quality i.e. more $$$ gives better optics that can align the R G and B parts of the image the best. In theory all this should work but there will be alot of trail and error in getting the projector to work well with a UV image.

10. 7up

True, the DLP projectors have lenses that filter out UV portion of the spectrum like a good pair of sunglasses. Maybe it's just a matter of removing the filterwred lens or replacing it with another, I am not sure.

11. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Tremendously exciting project.

Tweakie.

12. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Just had a chance to watch the show late last night. WOW :shock: Some cool stuff for sure. As Crash said, knowing Trish and Mark, I'm sure they will work out all the details and shed some more light ;-) on the subject in due time.

13. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I was looking for the Phlatlab show on my iPhone on Youtube using Growbot as the search term and got some curious results so I did a Google search for GrowBot.

Growbot is a company making equipment for enclosed growing systems including medical marijuana (or anything else you would need a secure place to grow).

Just thinking that a different name might be in order (unless you are planning on making something different :D ).

14. kram242

yeah we did the same search :D We thought we would make it 3D GrowBOT but its really just a temp name.
    If any of you guys have suggestions please post away we are open for name ideas. :doubleup:
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish

15. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I have been trying to come up with a name that starts with Phlat (since it creates a 3D object from phlat layers) and "PhlatBuilder" is the only one I have come up with so far.

Tim

16. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I like Phlatbuilder. You could also substitute grow with builder for a 3D Builder Bot.

17. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Very very interesting. You build it I'll be the first to buy it. Definitely I want to have that tool.

18. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Hey guyz. Thanks for the great name ideas. We are looking into them but please, keep them coming!

Mark and Trish

19. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

How about : Phlatruder

Tweakie.

20. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Interesting machine you got there! Reminds me of when you were first experimenting with the early Phlatformer prototypes.

I have to admit it, the word "grow" instantly made me think of the MJ euphemisms as well. Sadly, its another word that has been corrupted by contemporary culture.

21. jovian

jovian Member

The projectors have enough cross over into the UV spectrum that it will cure the near UV resins. Perhaps removing a filter or two might improve them but from what I have read that is not necessary. As for types of projectors DLP is known to work as only light that needs projecting actually is. IE you recieve a true black as no light is reflected for a true black, LCDs are a different story as they don't use mirrors like a DLP but instead block and filter light so even with the darkest black they are capable of some light leaks through. Bottom line it is going to depend on the sensitivity of the resin to know if an lcd projector will work.

22. kram242

Exactly Jovian :good:
    Mark and Trish

23. 7up

That is good info. :doubleup:

24. curtish

curtish New Member

Non-Phlat Printer

25. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member