1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

3D Printer question

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by rcav8r, Nov 12, 2013.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Well I'm finally thinking of getting a 3D printer. Was waiting for the technology to mature a bit, and it seems to have stabilized so to speak. Still advancing at an alarming rate, but most of the bugs with firmware and such seemed to have been worked out.

I remember seeing a few guys here had one.

I'm thinking one of these:
    Also is printing with PLA really needed?
    What are you guys using to create the STL files?
    THANKS

2. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

G.H. Boyd Systems, P.O. Box 235 Griffith, IN 46319
    As far as software is concerned, I use Rhino 3D. :cool:
    You can save any model you design as an .STL file.:doubleup:

This is an example of a vase modeled in Rhino and saved as an .STL file
    Flowervase.jpg

Hope this helps.
    Cheers.
    GHB:good:

Attached Files:

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

If you wanted to design your own I would recommend getting the v slot from openbuilds that Mark and Trish are selling and buy all the electronics to make it happen.
    If you are looking for a kit I would recommend the Ultimax from Ultibots http://www.ultibots.com/ultimax-3d-printer-diy-kit/. It's a complete kit, not wood, and has a huge build area. He actually lives in the next city to me and I have seen the machine. It is a really nice machine.

Me personally I like my Phlatbot (also known as the ORDbot) but I am wanting it bigger. I am on the fence right now on how I'm gonna make it bigger but it's gonna happen. I'm thinking of either converting it over to the Vslot or just putting longer makerslide on it.

You do not need to print in PLA. ABS is really nice as well I just recommend having it in a good ventilated area if printing ABS.

I design with Sketchup and use the .stl exporter for all my designs that I've 3d printed. Also if I have someone else's .stl file I just import in Sketchup and modify it there.

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the replies... Blender is a little rich for my blood ;-) I just don't like how Sketchup does fillets, OK, it really doesn't do them. ;-)
    I thought Trish and Mark had a 3D prtiner at one point, and weren't ready to sell it, but haven't heard any more. Did some googeling, and it looks like the ORDbot\phlatbot is a bare, bare bones kit without much documentation. Phlatbot domain is not active.
    I'm really liking the Ultibot, Appears that they use high quality parts throughout. I'm guessing that the 3 versions they sell differ only in size (i'll check better at home as I'm at work now) I really like that it isn't wood, but at the same time the Phlatprinter is wood, and mine is holding up just fine. It is twice the cost of the Makerfarm; just not sure if it is worth it.
    I'm going to send them an email as I have a few more questions that I think I know the answers to, but it isn't very clear/mentioned on the website.

Yea, seems like everything is ABS. Just wasn't sure what the advantage to PLA was, if any.

Thanks
    agina

5. GorillaBob

GorillaBob New Member

RCAV8r,

I teach Jr. High Computer Classes and the school district just purchased a Solidoodle 3 for my classroom. It took a few days for me to get it all figured out and calibrated but it is running like a champ now. After having used this one for awhile now, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at building a Vslot printer but I am very glad for all I have learned with the SD3. I am really enjoying the experience!