1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

66tbird's FFF fold cutter

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by navionflyer, Apr 17, 2009.

1. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Thanks 66tbird for putting your picture of the FFF fold cutter http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10618538&highlight=FFF+fold+remover#post10618538 in the original RCGroups Phlatprinter thread. I made one today and it works great. I used utility knife blades instead of the single edge razor blades. When I went to the store to get hardware, they had some brass threaded inserts that screw into a hole drilled in the wood so I used those instead of nuts (I would not recommend them because they are too soft to put into oak). You can see what I did in the pics attached.

I found that the back edge of the blade will score the sheet next to the fold you are cutting if you have it too close. I also placed the blades as far back as I could to better guide the fold in the channel.

Tim Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Thanks and your welcome Tim, All that have tried one love it. Sure makes short work of a stack of fff. I tried utility blades on one and it didn't seem to cut as easy as the razor blades. I also found that if each blade is set to 60% of the channel width and at the shallowest angle possible it cuts very easy.

As Crash and Dorsal pointed out on their podcast the strip that is removed is worth saving. Since it has an accurately cut edge it can be glued down with a minimum of glue to make a nice stiffener for a profile fuse or KE wing spar..

The gentleman that made mine used a 2x2 and ripped the slot, then added the top pieces thus making it a three piece of wood project. He used wood screws also with the tapped hole hit with a little thin CA to harden them up.

Another thing I needed was a bevel cutter. I tried a few different styles but the one that work the most accurate is this one. Easy to make too. Just rip a 1 by at a 45, cut in half, flip one side and clamp the two along with a ply fence edge and drill for wood screws. Smooth the edges, squeeze a razor in at a shallow angle and your good. It is a little more of a dangerous tool, so keep away from kids. Attached files [​IMG] Bevel cutter.skp (154.6 KB)Â

3. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I can't remember if it was Exacto or Fiskars brand (I'll look when I get home), but at Wal-Mart, they sell a bevel cutter that works pretty well for about $4. I have used mine for many planes but the blade is getting dull and it's not the standard Exacto blade. I am seriously thinking about building the one you posted just to be able to use the razor blades instead.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your contributions.
    Tim