1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

A few thoughts about Christmas Gifts this year

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by crash5050, Nov 13, 2011.

1. crash5050

crash5050 Member

This is a Post by Jim on Max's Scout Services & Communities Blog.

* May Christmas 2011 -- Be a Birth of a New Tradition *

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense (and loss) of American labor.
    This year should be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands. Yes there is!

Christmas at the White House
    It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE (except Buck and Rumplestilkin) gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?
    Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.
    Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American-owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.
    Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the Benjamines (or Washingtons) on a Chinese made flat-screen?
    Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.
    There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint.
    Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.
    (no worries, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, and other "big box stores" who happen to provide low wages to countless American citizens, will not go out of business and move out of your community)
    How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?
    Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.
    My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.
    OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.
    Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theatre.
    Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.
    Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip. Another option is to consider a charitable donation to your favorite 501(c)3 foundation, such as The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, your local Church or Synagogue, the local public library, the homeless shelter, the food pantry – the list is endless! You can always make a donation in honor of someone or in memory of someone.
    You see, Christmas should no longer be about draining American pockets so that Red China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.
    THIS is the new American Christmas tradition.
    Thanks Jim Cox for sharing...
    that giving is the real meaning of Christmas.
    Wake up U. S. A.

If you are still reading this post, please....Let's use this time of Tradition, and open heartedness to make America Strong....Again.

David

2. WoodworkersWorkshop

WoodworkersWorkshop New Member

Excellent posting. I've copied it and emailed it to all my friends.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Well said! Supporting your fellow American businesses would be a giant step in the right direction to turning this country back on track. I am glad to see all the gift ideas listed here and would also like to include all the kits and creations made right here. There are a lot of guyz on the Phlatforum who sell high quality kits at great prices. So if you are looking for a great gift for your flying buddies be sure to click on some of the banners and check out what new offerings they have. Supporting their business will help to make us a stronger group with the means to keep moving forward. We do this not only to help the economy but because it is the right thing to do as the golden rule.
    Thanks for sharing this David :good:
    Mark and Trish

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

For me this is nothing new, and I practice year round, not just during the holidays. For years I've always stop at the local ma and pa store first. And only if they don't have what I need, or can't get it, I go to one of the big boxes. Even though we have "foreign" cars they are made in the USA, unlike the last domestic car we had that was made in Brazil. Incidentally when we got parts for the domestic car, they came from China. I had the brakes on my Toyota changed a few months ago. I picked up the pads from the dealer to take to the guy doing the job. The OEMs lasted almost 100K miles so I figured why not use them... The box said Made in USA.
    Sure I can change my own brakes, or oil, but I go to the garage down the street. It's a ma and pa type place that has been around for years.
    I get my hair cut at a local barber, not one of those chains.
    When we go out to eat we almost always go to a ma and pa type place, or at least a local chain. When we are out of town we always look for a ma and pa type place.
    When out of town I always try the local brew, not a mass market beer from some foreign owned conglomerate. (OK, confession Guinness is my favorite ;-) )
    I used to rent DVDs from the local guy, but he went out of business... :-(
    For hobby stuff, I always try the guy/gal in a garage first. Hay, that's why I went with a Plat Printer :D
    I always try to start as small and local as I can, and work my way out. My wife thinks I'm crazy, and it may seem like it's too little to matter, but if EVERYONE did this.....

BTW, I think next Saturday is Small Business Saturday: http://smallbusinesssaturday.com/