1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Adjustable fence clamps

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by 3DMON, Feb 27, 2009.

1. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I was having problems with material 12" wide or smaller skewing when traveling long distances, so this is what I came up with.
    I made it so I could remove them but found they can just sit off to the side if not in use.

This was made because everything else I tried did not work. This mod should make it possible to cut much thicker wood with great accuracy, and most important...it will not skew :D Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Why did this mod come out AFTER I have the MKII prototype cut and on its way here! :D
    First Randy with his super cool spring loaded pressure roller mod and now this! Man o man :mrgreen:
    This is really a great mod 3DMON Nice work
    I could not figure out a good way to do this and here you make it look so simple!

Now the question is to you have any reservations if I try to incorporate this into the MKII design before it goes out? I think it would be a great addition to the MKII.
    Thanks for posting
    Mark

3. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

3-d awsome dude!!! man this mod along with my spring loaded top pressure roller mod, man that really would be the sick phlatty set-up....heck mark do it bro, if it isnt to late to do so. randy.

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Gee that's a whole lot simpler than I was going to make, although mine involved no modifications to the lid. I May still try it and see how it goes.

5. 3DMON

Please do Mark.
    Thanks for the comments guys!

6. meistertek

meistertek Member

3DMON this mod is awesome! I was trying to figure out how to get fences on the PhlatPrinter too and you figured it all out for me now!

7. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Two great mods in two days. Good work :)

8. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Very helpful mod, thanks 3D!

9. 3DMON

10. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

3DMON,
    you are incredible! This is a great mod
    Thank you for posting
    I am going to experiment with all the versions here from Randy, you and 66tbird and see which one we can incorporate into the MKII :) thank you all for posting and for sharing to help make the MKII the best it can be.
    Mark

11. rayclark

rayclark Member

What I did so that I didn't have to drill into the top platform was to take some aluminum track lighting rail and mounted it to the front of the printer. I then machined two aluminum bars so that it would slide in the track. put a bolt with a washer through it and I can lock it down anywhere I want.

Here is a pic of it. Attached files [​IMG]

12. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

I dig it Ray!

Eric

13. meistertek

meistertek Member

Hey Ray that's cool! It's cool to see how everyone does a mod, so you can then pick the best of each to do! :D

14. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

hmmm, I like it. Now, if we just modify the phlattable so that it too can attach to the track! Then we don't have to weaken the top, we have adjustable fences AND we have a removeable table extension to boot!

It just keeps getting better and better. Glad I waited. I think this one will be going to the top of my list.

15. 3DMON

Nice Ray.

16. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

So I'm cutting out my mouse trap and working on the fence plans when all of a sudden things start making bad noises. Scratch one sheet. Turns out my box came apart at the seams in a few places. Must of been a little loose for the last couple cuts because what came out was not 'right on''. Soooo, off goes the table and out comes the glue and bar clamps. Looks like I'm in for the lighting track (great idea btw) for both the fences and table. Good time to shoot some brads here and there also.

17. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I need to do this as well. I found that the PHP has no problems cutting the Y or X but the wood gets moved around..... :shock:

I also need to do the spring mod on the rollers. I can see the bit push up the material so it takes it a second to drill through with the bit we use.

18. Flashsolutions

Okay, I finally got around to doing this mod. I did it the Rube Goldberg way, but it works.

I went to Lowes and bought track lighting track and discarded the electrical inards.

Then I cut some 1/4" MDF and 1/16" hobby plywood to form a tight fitting slide, then added 2 L formed fence guides and put two drywall screws in each slide to lock it in place.

I wanted the channel opening in front so I can attach a table and not have screws interfering with the table top.

I worked up my idea in SU but deviated a bit from the plans once I got started.

Here are some photos and the SU code. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] fencemod.skp (57.7 KB)Â

19. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Flashsolutions, good job man....hey you going to design for a front table that will incorporate the same track? man flash, with that new y-axis, ya outta work over that z bud....randy.

20. Flashsolutions

Yes, I know... It's on my to do list... along with the spring mod, repairing my broken biplane, completing a new Polaris SU plan plus build and test a new plane called the Skeeter my club is working on. Oh, and can't forget, I also have to make my table mod.

I'm beginning to feel like we need 48hour days in order to fit everything in. :lol:

21. 3DMON

Looks good Flash!

22. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing your pics Flash. Looks great!

23. travisc

travisc Member

McMaster-Carr has a t-track that is cheap. part number for 24" is 1850A14

"The T-slotted design allows you to slide in 1/4"-20 hex head bolts
    to mount, position, and hang clamps and fixtures. To reposition clamps and fixtures, loosen the bolt and slide it into a new position. Ideal for positioning jigs, stops, and hold-downs on table saws. Track is made of clear anodized extruded aluminum and has mounting holes that accept #8 pan head screws (not included). Mounting holes are on 3" centers."
    comes in 18" 24" 36" & 48"

24. Flashsolutions

Oh sure.... Now you tell me :p Where were you when I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to make this silly thing work.

That sounds like just the ticket. Thanks for sharing that little nugget of gold with us.

For those of you who don't want to take the time to install a fence, I did discover an alternate way to process lite plywood without using a fence.

I simply used a sacrificial piece of FFF and milled out a 1/16" rectangle inside it and taped the plywood to the FFF. The foam transports the plywood and prevents slippage resulting in nice clean cuts without a fence.

Attached files 12x6carrier2.skp (97.4 KB)Â

25. travisc

travisc Member

Here is what I think I am going to do, I was going to try and cut a new top out and mod it,
    but if I do it like in the pics I will not need to and this will allow me to remove the fences and put the table on as well. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]