1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by kram242, Feb 11, 2013.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello Guyz,
    Not sure how this one got left out, but there has been some recent interest in this aerodyne and thought I would post what have have.
    This is Dr.Lippisch 'Aerodyne' a fluid sustained aircraft .
    The Harrier jump-jet, world famous for its VTOL capabilities employs many of Lippisch's VTOL principals.
    You can read more about the research and see pics of test rigs here:
    http://discaircraft.greyfalcon.us/LIPPISCHE%20AERODYNE%20RESEARCH.htm
    Here is another link that goes into more detail and has some awesome design concepts by Dr.Lippisch
    http://www.rexresearch.com/lippisch/lippisch.htm

I never did get the chance so far to complete this , so I am posting with the hopes that some adventurous builder would like to give it a go.
    Please feel free to work on this and make it your own. Maybe with the gyros on the new quad boards out there today, we could get the wind vanes on this bad boy to work!
    Enjoy
    Mark and Trish Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] AERODYNE.skp (405.8 KB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Member

Reminds me alot of my Uncles' first attempt at a hovercraft back in the 80's.

Since then they had perfected their crafts and produced them full time for a couple of decades before retiring.

I've got some gyros and a ducted fan. I wonder if it would actually work?

3. kram242

Only one way to find out :good:

Cool video Gravity! I like the one in the beginning with the angle intake never thought of make one with the angle in the front.

Here's one that we made a while back we called the hover hopper. It was supposed to be a hovercraft/aircraft hybrid. Lots of fun :)

4. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Member

Yeah, I've downloaded the HoverHopper plans. Looks like a cool machine. I built an RC hovercraft several years ago. it worked pretty well - but it was extremely limited on speed. Once I got above 10-15 MPH, it'd take off and flip over backward. Never thought to balance it and put an elevator on it!

After a quick search - turns out it was 8 years ago. And, I had a really crappy camera!
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/unusual-r-c-245/2939376-hovercraft-linkages.html

On that one, the skirt was a tube that I directed part of the prop blast into to inflate. Then, I directed a larger part of the prop blast under the craft to lift it.

Anyway, I was thinking that if you lowered your scoop that directs air under your hopper, you'd have alot more usable wing area since you'd have more prop blast going under the center of the wing. It may actually fly. Oh, I've got way too many ideas and not nearly enough time!

5. kram242

After a quick search - turns out it was 8 years ago. And, I had a really crappy camera!
    That looks really cool! I think your right about the elevator It would be sweet to see that one rebuilt (all cams were crappy back then :D)

I think your on to something there

Sounds like we belong to the same club! :D