1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

AMA Membership

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by theothers, Apr 15, 2009.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Alright guyz. I got my AMA membership tonight. We're heading over to E-T's indoor fly in tomorrow night. Woo hoo. Thanks crash for the pizza box flyer. That is what we'll be taking with us.

BTW, we picked up a sweet new camera today. JVC 60gb hard drive so we should be able to get some good videos!

Trish

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

You go girl! Show Mark how it's supposed to be done! ;)

Do you have a buddy-cable between 2 radios or what? What kind of radio(s) are you using?

3. theothers

Buddy-cable? No way! :D

We bought enough props from Lazertoyz at the Toledo Show to last us a while. I have flown the combat and a few other planes but would get frustrated because we usually only had a few props and I knew if I broke them all, Mark wouldn't be able to fly while we waited for a new shipment. So, I usually would quit after a few flights. Not this time. The only limitation this time is that we'll be sharing the pizza box flyer and the fly in is only 2.5 hours.

We both have Futabas but we want to upgrade to the DX-7, one day.

4. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Once you get a DX7 you'll wonder why you stuck with the old technology for so long.

The response time is so quick you will be amazed!

I've still got my old Eclipse 7....I tried flying with it a week ago.....I can't believe how much slower it is..... :?

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Yay Trish!
    I would love it if my wife was into this hobby and flying with me.
    We need more women in the hobby.

6. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

You guys JR 388 radio should be in today, so you can convert it to DSM2 with the Spektrum module and you'll be able to take advantage of the 2.4ghz, as well as a darned nice radio. She's kind of old, but boy does she feel good in your hands! LOL

I am so happy you're gonna do this, Trish. What I wouldn't give to share my favorite past time with MY wife! I'll have to settle for flying with my daughters. Lindsey is 7 1/2 now, and she really wants to play airplanes with me. I think I'm gonna get her a Vapor 'cause they fly so stinkin' slow and give a newb a LOT of time for reaction. Unfortunately, it'll prolly be the Winter before we get to get her in the air (indoor flying season). McKenzie (almost 4 now) really wants to play, too, but I'm afraid she's gonna hafta get a little older before I get her going. BOTH girls are always trying to take my transmitter away from me when I'm trying to fly! LOL

As soon as I get some fundage built up, I'll make, custom paint, and send you your OWN PBF! I'll try to come up with a really nice paint scheme for yours. :D

7. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Just waiting for your AMA # Trish

Oh there's one for Mark too. :roll: lol

Cheers

E-T

S.J.E.M Attached files [​IMG]

8. theothers

Awesome!! Thanks for all of your support. I hope I don't fail miserably and let everyone down. I am usually my biggest enemy when it comes to flying so I am just going to have to let go and realize that breaking props is part of learning :)

Thanks for the membership E-T. How cool is that! I have to wait to get my official AMA# in the mail. For now, I am carrying the receipt around in my purse. Looking forward to tonight. Hopefully, we'll have some footage to share with you when we get home.

Mark and Trish

9. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

It is so great to see the gals entering this sport. Kudos to you Trish!

I gave a Phlatprinter presentation to an AMA club last week and was surprised to see the number of ladies present at the meeting.

While most of them do not fly, they are there to support their husbands hobby.

My wife is actually going to go with me to SEFF this year. I think she might have an interest in flying but sees it as being too intimidating and not something she could master. I was estatic that she wanted to go spend a couple days watching and socializing, which brings me to the next best thing about being an AMA member. The first thing I unpack when I get to the field is my lawn chair. There are times I don't even get a plane out to fly. It is just such a great opportunity to meet new people who share a passion with you.

We all started out not knowing how to fly, so really, anyone can learn if they have a desire.

I have watched some people struggle mightly with it while others pick it up naturally.

To help learn, I strongly suggest you first do so on a simulator. There are even some nice free simulators like FMS for those on a budget, but the Real Flight G4.5 is a good investment if you plan to learn how to fly R/C.

Hitting a reset button on the transmitter does not rebuild your broken airplane in real life, so you can save a lot of headaches by practicing on the simulator where your mistakes can be made without impacting your wallet.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Trish - if you CALL the AMA, they can tell you already what your AMA number is. They won't let you look it up online ('cause you must HAVE your number to look up numbers :roll: ) and they won't email it to you, but they even told me mine when I called. :roll:

11. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

First off, you WILL fail. That's part of it! No worries though. Failures are opportunities for learning, and the more learning you get in, the better pilot you will become. LOL I've had LOTS of learning opportunities over the years. :D

Two things I tell new pilots:

1. EVERY aircraft has a finite number of flights in it, and unfortunately, we never know that number until it comes up!

2. If you're not crashing, then you're prolly just putting around, which is what I think of as "barely flying". LOL Crash and Learn!!

The great thing about picking up this hobby NOW is that some really fantastic people created this cool machine to allow you to get your replacement planes back in the air in record time! Go crash a few!! LOL

Get the flying part down, and then you'll be ready for building and stuffing (installing all the electronic gizmos). Before you know it, ol' Mark will be having to wait his turn on the PhlatPrinter!

12. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

I'm not worried at all about you learning to fly Trish. I've taught four or five ladies and have met about the same number more over the decades, and one thing they all had in common was the ability to learn and retain the motions quickly. The gals just seem to be wired differently when it comes to learning when they want to learn. I noticed the same phenomenon with the Rubics cube.

Crash summed it up, 'if you aren't crashing, your not flying'.

13. theothers

Thanks guys. Well, E-T brought the buddy box and I was very grateful to have it. That thing is awesome! I didn't break any props tonight! And, I flew a heli. Very cool. Too late tonight to post the video (We have to go through and put it together) but we did get some great footage of Mark and E-T in combat. We'll get it up there this weekend.

14. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

That is cool that your into flying Trish! You'll love that camera also, I have the 30gig HDD JVC and shoots great video! Just stick with it and you'll be great.

15. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Trish, i hope your getting good training.....glen and i talked over this issue at a great length, lols. we kinda have opposite ideas on teaching new rc pilots....i dont think you have to crash over and over to learn to fly....you will have plenty of time after you learn to do that, lols. also i hope your not learning the monkey style thumb stick method, instead of learning the thumb and finger stick holding technique. generally the fellas that use the monkey thumbs, fly like that.....monkeys, lols. good luck, and have fun learning how to fly. peace, randy.

16. Evil-Tunes

LOL @ Rjarois.

Well thats how I learned to Fly. Build it. Fly it. Crash it. I am at a point now that there is quite a bit more time between crashes. Here is my first foamy flight.

No buddy box here, this was the first of many crashes. If you never crash your not flying hard enough......... :D

Cheers
    E-T

17. rjarois

hey glen ya usin the monkey thumbs or what?, lols. hey get some video of your new bird dog model ya got at the show, i wanna see that one fly bud. get trish up with that on your bud box....randy.

18. Evil-Tunes

Yea, monkey thumbs Is what I have

19. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Monkey Thumbs huh :D ...Thats how I fly too.
    I've tried to fly finger thumb method but I couldn't do any tricks. I tell people to go with whats comfortable. Despite the finger thumb method being more precise, there are plenty of pros flying both ways.
    I find most video game players like to fly thumbs. Just put plenty of expo in there.

Shaun

20. theothers

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm not sure what I do at this point. I'll have to pay attention tomorrow morning. We're heading out to the college early in the morning for some wide open outdoor flying. I'm looking forward to it because all of the flying I do have under my belt has been in tight spaces. Hopefully, I will get a better feel for it tomorrow.

So far, the camera has been awesome. We just have to figure out the one touch You Tube feature. We tried to publish our videos from the other night and ran into some trouble. We just have to figure it out then it should be quick.

Hopefully, we'll be able to post some videos tomorrow.

Thanks everyone,

Mark and Trish

21. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

HEY!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH FLYING LIKE A MONKEY?!?! :D

22. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

In case you're not sure what monkey thumbs are these lessons may help...

http://www.rcflightschool.com/Basic_Lessons/C35.asp

I started out (like most everyone does) with the monkey thumbs method. The first time your thumb slips off the stick and you crash your plane, you will begin to understand why the professionals teach you the proper way to hold the sticks.

It takes a bit of getting used to in order to do it the right way. You have to unlearn some bad habits you have acquired, but once you get used to holding the sticks properly, its like when you started using seat belts in your car, you don't feel comfortable without them. Same principle applies here.

23. rjarois

Flashsolutions, thanks for that link, i was looking for something to post like that.....for good flying skills, i think its imperative that the learning flyer is taught good techniques from the start, as not to have to break bad habits later on. randy.

24. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I have more years behind me than ahead of me of bad flying habits. :( I guess I'll stick with the bad ones and try to fly without crashing for now :) :)

Yoram

25. theothers

Thanks for the link Flash. I read the first lesson and tried to go the second and unfortunately, they wanted me to buy the book. Since Mark is the best pilot I know, I think I'll stick with the hands on real world training. We were so tired Sunday morning after working on the Phlat-Lab all day Saturday that we didn't make it to the outdoor flying the E-T was having at a local college here :( I think it would be easier for me to learn outdoors with a lot of space if the wind cooperates.

Sorry we haven't posted any videos. Our new camera has a one touch youtube button which isn't working. I can't get any of the videos to upload through the program that was provided. So, I have been working on that. I did have a chance to watch them. Since we had the buddy box, it's difficult to tell when I am flying or when Mark has taken over. Since we were in a gym, I think he took over more than I was actually flying.

I am going to work on the video now and post in a little while.

Thanks for the advice. I am NOT going to use monkey thumbs....sorry Randy :)