1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

AOA Stager Wing

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by AnyAirRc, Jun 28, 2010.

1. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

Ok so I have been MIA for a long time school and getting ready for my daughter to be born have been my main priorities lately. I did have a crazy idea for a new plane!

It is a stager wing bipe of sorts with a huge stager. Also I wanted to try a new method of pitch control. I plan on using the AOA (angle of attack) of the main wing to climb and dive. The first version pictured here glides great and 0 degrees AOA my next step is to put radio gear in her and try it. Do you think it will work? Attached files [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back Jason!

Interesting design. I think it could work. Are you thinking of mounting a servo to the center of the wing to change the angle of attack during flight?? If so that could make for a really interesting flight.

3. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

I plan on putting a servo behind the main wing post and connecting it with a push rod to the trailing edge of the wing. It will be pulling down on the back to increase the AOA and hopefully make the plane climb in flight in place of a traditional elevator.

4. 3DMON

Cool, I think it should work!

5. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Looks like a "Flying Flea" aircraft.
    I'm not sure but I think I read that some of the tandem wing aircraft types would use a movable front wing to control pitch, but I can't think of where I read this off hand.
    Neat looking little plane anyways!

6. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

Wow I never heard of the flying flea but dang I built something exactly like it lol... It even pitches the main wing like I was planing on doing. I must have seen a pic or something awhile back and it popped into my head lol. In this pic you can see the wing pitching set up nicely.

http://users.tpg.com.au/rgb05/assetes/Flying%20Flea.jpg

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

That's a fantastic idea on pitching the wing like that. I a curious to see this one in action!
    Keep up the good work AA looking forward to it
    Mark and Trish

8. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

I got the servos in and the AOA of the wing does affect the climb under glide. I just hope it works as good with power on!

Attached files [​IMG]

9. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I like it AA!

10. kram242

Sweet! looks and sounds like it will work. Have you started working up the powered version yet?
    Mark

11. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

This is the power version with some change tapped to the front to figure out the CG. I have a 10gram outrunner I am going to stick on the front today and test fly Saturday.

12. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

I have all the radio gear in and ballanced at the cg. It is strange putting the lipo in the tail. Wish me luck in the am when there is no wind.

13. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

OK its the crack of dawn and I am on my way to the club to hopefully test this plane before the wind picks up and before any other members show up to laugh at me LOL.

14. 3DMON

Hope your maiden goes well.

15. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

How did it go Any? Any pics, video? BTW, congratulations on your expected daughter and welcome back to the Phlatforum!

16. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

Well the pitch mechanism worked great! I did have a problem the killed my prototype. The rudder cause a rolling diving action. What causes this roll?

17. 3DMON

Sounds like you need dihedral in the wing.

18. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

It had a fair amount of dihedral on the main wing, do you think the lower rear wing needed it also?

19. 3DMON

Hmmm. I don't think the elevator would need it, but maybe the elevator being long, it could be acting like another wing. Other than that im not sure.

20. kram242

Maybe make the rudder lower. In-line or below the thrust line this way you would be turning instead of (in a sense) with it above you are tilting/pushing the aircraft to one side or the other.
    Mark

21. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

Mark I was going to make the rudder higher but you think lower is the way to go? I have no idea how rudders work LOL I never use them unless doing 3d with a store bought plane LOL.

22. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

From airliners.net
    Quote: Apart from size, there is another wrinkle to the D10/M11 rudder/engine/fin bauplan. The rudder is further from the centerline of the aircraft than on the Tristar. Thus it has more a tendency to produce a rolling moment.
    From Wikipedia
    Quote: Also, since rudders generally extend above the aircraft's center of gravity, a torque is imparted to the aircraft resulting in an adverse bank.

I would guess lowering the rudder would work better according to this statement

23. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

I would also try it without any dihedral in the front wing and a little in the rear wing. Your in effect flying a short coupled canard design and I "think" that might help it. Your milage may vary...

24. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

well my baby girl came a month early... she weighed 8lbs 14oz and is 20" long. She is doing well besides a slight heart murmur the doc thinks will heal itself. She kind of cut my time short on this project so when I get home I'll post the SU file for anyone that wants to try to get her to turn without the death spiral. I'd love to see this bird fly right!

25. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations! Delay is perfectly understandable.