1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Balsa storage box

Discussion in 'What plans are you looking for?' started by Hankado, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hankado

Hankado New Member

Looking to see if anyone has created a foam storage box.

I am looking for storage box to keep all my balsa wood organized and in one place.

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Well I have one of those SIG boxes that Hobby shops used to have to store my wood. I now keep if for some of the stick stock and tubes of music wire and carbon rod and misc long items. I found it was hard to practically use in a working shop. Cut off sheets/sticks would get lost down in the box, things on a shelf above it (like epoxy, wood glue, stapler, etc) would fall in the box making it hard to retrieve them.
    REcently I made a FLAT shelf suspended under my work bench. Framed with 1x3s and MDF for the shelf. I then stack my wood and mark the edges with a colored sharpie (just slash a line down the stack) so the sizes are color coded. I can see at a glace what I need to re-stock, and grab the piece I need. As I only have a few colors, some sizes will have multiple colors. I find this MUCH easier than the compartmened box. I may ty and mount the Sig box on it's side, but then I will need extra space to extract the itmes. Or I may use sections of gutter hung on a wall or larer stick pieces, and PVC pipes for the smaller stuff.
    Having been there done that I find the shelf with the marked bundels a lot easier than a compartmentized box.

I'll post some pics when I have access to my PC.

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Here's a few pics... Shelf under my bench with the marked balsa. If you look tot he upper left you will see another stack with different markings than the others.

Sig Balsa box.
    Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]