1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

beware of transparent monokote....

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by rjarois, Sep 17, 2010.

1. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

i would like to report to all the kit/scratch builders, that the new monokote is junk that wont shrink. please don't waste your money as i did, its not the same product for some reason or another. i just built a gentle lady glider, and if interested here is the read...peace, randy.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1281027

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up Randy.

-Buk

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I swore off Monocote years ago. I used to use it exclusively. Then we noticed it would shatter after a year or two. Yep shatter like glass. I did hear about various runs of Moneycote not adhering on an other forum. Great Pains got on, and blamed the user.... so it must be you rjarois :D

I've been using Ultracote now, and love it. The first plane I used it on was a Morris the Knife about 12 years ago. It was an old glow plane, and I gave it to a buddy when I went all electric. He's still flying it, and it still looks great.

4. rjarois

yea fellas, when i first applied the film, i laid it on nice tight by tacking with the iron it looked better then when i went to shrink, it just got wavy with sags and stayed that way. i used monokote years ago, and actually you had to be very careful on delicate balsa ribs, as the shrinkage was so good you could break it i think, lols. i have since read somewhere that monokote changed the formula, and thats why it wont shrink. thinking back, i remember coca-cola doing the same to ther soda pop. any how from now on its ultracote for me now. peace, randy.

5. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

If Randy says it didn't work, I believe it. He is a master coverer and I have a plane to prove it :D

Your gentle lady looks great Randy. Congrats on getting her finished. Now, get out there and fly!

6. rjarois

Trish, man your to kind.....i am very far from a master model builder, lols.... i am mediocre at best...also i am in understanding of some slipping by quality control, but i had 3 rolls that would not shrink, and we all work to hard for our money....and also if top-flite the maker of monokote knows of this, well shame on them. btw you get your little model up yet?? if not you and mark should meet up with glen before the cold weather hits. randy.

7. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Here's a shot of the tail of my Buddie's U-Can-Do tail from this weekend. The Monocote patches are from prior shatterings. The holes you see are after one flight. If you closely you will see some clear tape over other holes... those were from the previous flight that day. Plane is only about 2 years old, and this is an ARF, so if they want to blame technique......

Randy, your not the only one with the issue... I thought this sounded old .
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... te+shatter

Here's my thread on the shattered Monocote...
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... t+monocote Attached files [​IMG]

8. rjarois

rcav8r, until you see that kind of thing for yourself, its hard to believe people when they are having trobs....i was so disgusted with mine, i didn't even bother to get any photos...i just did a tear off and used coverite, and chalked it up for my own info and others that run across this post. randy.

9. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

I'm in full agreement with Randy and the rest. A student brought some trans yellow over on my recommendation and it was a joke, absolutely worthless stuff. Yet his solid blue was fine. I went into my stash from the 90's and saved the day. One thing I noticed right off is that they smell way different. You can almost feel like your buzzed taking a deep inhale of the old stuff as you unroll it. The new stuff is like,, umm, 3-2 beer I guess, no punch.