1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Big Pi-Plane 24

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by Flashsolutions, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

This is a modified PiPlane originally done by SR71fan as an 18" plane.

I have had so much fun with this one that I decided it was time to scale it up.

The circle is cut from 9mm Depron. The top fuse is 6mm and the bottom is two laminated 6mm pieces to give it a total thickness of 12mm.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have... Attached files 24inchCircleFirewall.skp (88.9 KB)Â My_24InchPiPlane6mm.skp (360.4 KB)Â My_24InchPiPlane9mm.skp (417.8 KB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Wow that looks super! I have to show Trish this one I just know she will want one.
    I am sure it will float along and help her with learning to fly
    Thanks Flash
    Mark

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I just maidened this one about an hour ago.

All I can say is WOW!

Compared to the 18" version, there is no comparison...

This one actually flys very predictably and yet has the same twirl characteristics that the smaller one had.

I added my home made landing gear and made this into something I can actually take off and land from the ground without hand tossing.

I put a strip of carbon fiber on the bottom to act as a skid plate when landing.

For the power system, I used a Turnigy C2830-1050 with an 11x4.7 prop with about 1/2" cut from the tips. This seems to produce more thrust which works well for the characteristic twirl maneuver.

Battery for this is a Thunderpower 1350 30C rated 3 cell LIPO. The weight is just right for perfect balance.

The 18" version took some getting used to when learning to fly it, but this version actually flys more like a plane than the circle it is.

I did not have to trim anything! Out of the box, it was right on the money and flys slow and gentle or fast and action packed when pushed.

I am estatic. I just could not believe how much better this one flew vs the 18". Now to put some colorfull streamers on it!!! Attached files [​IMG]