1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

bigger eagle in the works....

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by rjarois, Sep 19, 2009.

1. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

hello....decided to make a bigger eagle model. i have a smaller one that has a 48in span.. i scaled the model up to a 80in wing span. this will make it almost a scale eagle. i decided to build when TV casualty took his warbird higher that my small eagle. Erik has good eyes compared to the old monk, hence the bigger version eagle. hopefully i can take it up over two thousand feet and still see, lols. i have the body almost built, and i will post pic's when i get a chance. peace, randy.

2. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I almost lost sight of my 109 the other day, I need to find out the numbers on it, that will give you a good goal to shoot for given the 55" ws of the 109.
    W/ 80" you should get close to double! ;)

3. rjarois

got the body roughed out...i still have to make the tail yet... i installed my favorite motor of all time..the hacker A20-22L. i have had this in several models over the years. it is a solid performer with 200 watts with a 2oz weight. this along with a castle-25 and two hi-tec 45 feather's weigh at 7.7oz as of now. i am waitin on some depron to finish the model, an am thinking about the wing construction. i was thinkin about doing a airfoil in the eagle wing. or i might make stock like the smaller one, I'm undecided as of now. my biggest thing is picking a airfoil type. high lift foil? ...sailplane foil? any input will be greatly appreached. my goal it to have the best floater i can make. i am hoping to keep the model light as possible with its 80in span. peace, randy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Looking good RJ!

5. rjarois

al any airfoil you think would be best??

6. rjarois

cut the 1/2in thick blue foam spar, and the 1/16 ply joiners. the dihedral was cut at 3 deg per side. also the wings are curled up on the ends. the joiners are to be sandwiched on each side of the blue spar. i am also going to carbon or wood reinforce the blue spar. you will notice i programmed two knobs to get lined up rite. i am building the eagle mostly from all stuff i got layin.. found a AR-7000 Rx. kinda heavy but its all i have loose. plannin on 3mm ribs when i get the stock. the bottom of wing is going to be 9mm depron, and I'm trying to decide what one between 3mm and 6mm to skin top. also i skinned the nose section with 3mm, the rest is from 6mm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Nice Randy! I'm watchin your wing makin' skills with intrest over here. I like what I see so far.

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Man that bird is gonna be BIG!

9. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Looks good. I'm following this on :D since I fly TD daily.

If 6mm bends enough to skin the top wing I'd vote for that option. A good solid top shin is money in the bank as far as strength. And if you plan on speck'ing this way up there, having a stiff flying wing is a good comfort.

I saw a MantaE flutter itself to bits at nose bleed height, and its a moldy.

Good choice on the motor. If you can streamline the nose enough for a folder, a 12x5 would warm that 20-22L up nicely.

10. rjarois

yea TV i took that wing apart ya give me...maybe i can learn something..

11. rjarois

yea shaun i did a test cut, and it is big....root is huge. i will post as i go..

12. rjarois

t-bird, thanks for the wing skin input....i am not a very experienced scratch builder...i need all the help i can get..

13. rjarois

i had some 1/8 dia fiber layin....i installed a long piece on the bottom of spar, and a shorter one on the face. i know the one on the face really doesn't add much, but it straightened out the spar. i am thinking of getting another piece on top of spar, but dont have to many funds, lols. i am thinking of some dave browns fiber strip along top, but after cuttin open a wing TV gave me, im not to sure it will be necessary. the 6mm ribs are spaced at 3in increments. the bottom of wing is going to be 9mm and im not sure about top yet. the joiner is 1/16 ply on each side of the blue foam. i will update as i progress. the spars will come to the start of the wing tip upward bend.peace, randy.
    [​IMG]

14. rjarois

:woot: !! i think the old monk had a lil divine invention this mornin....ran downstairs to look at the spars again...and i had a very feint idea to look in my scrap box one more time....all the way in the very bottom i found two carbon fiber ribbons that will work perfect for the big eagle...man i couldn't believe it, as i was gonna get cleaned up and to the hobby store. funny how stuff works out. i will install over the top after i glue in the ribs. randy.
    [​IMG]

15. rjarois

found a piece of 6mm depron, enough for a wing half of ribs.. the ribs are almost 14in long. also i got two more 1/8 dia fibers to lay across the top of spar. i programmed the plunge to accommodate the rod after the ribs are installed. also i decited on a clark-Y foil, since the bottom is real flat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Wow Randy, that is one BIG bird! :eek:

I really like the construction technique you're using. I also like the placement of your tabs on the trailing edge of the ribs, I've been tabbing the whole edge of an area like that and then cutting it by hand afterwards so that the points don't get damaged by the cutting bit. Your placement of tabs looks much better.

17. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Wholey cow, looks really good rj! Remember though the strength of the wing I gave you comes from the fiberglass on top and bottom of the wing. Before the glass it was really floopy since it was so thin! Also I was thinkin that the fiber ribon I had bent really easily one way, but was very stiff the other, not sure if your stuff is the same way?

18. rjarois

yea Erik, its all tensile strength along with the glue joint, the same as rod...you need top and bottom... if you look at my later photos, i made a channel for a 1/8 dia carbon rod to fit top and bottom. randy.

19. rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd New Member

I am a newbie to this forum but am chiming in because I have been flying one of the Flyparty EPP Eagles for quite a while now. It has taken a lot of testing and tweaking to get the CG and power right but it flies really nicely now. I just want to mention that the molded Flyparty EPP Eagle has a fair amount of trailing edge reflex, one half inch from the floor when the wing is sitting flat. My eagle is essentially a flying wing with it's short fuselage and I think that is why it has the reflex in the trailing edge.

[​IMG]

The basic airfoil looks like a Clark Y to me so you are right on target with that.

[​IMG]

20. rjarois

rbrown3rd, looks great man....no one is a newbie here, we all the same...phlatboyz...i have been flying a small one i had previously built. it has a 48in wing span. i know what ya mean by gettin the cg rite. it has to be spot on. i think a gas version would be impossible to fly. here is a pick of my small one. randy.
    [​IMG]

21. rjarois

got over half the ribs glued up. i am at a stand still til i get my depron. after i glue up the other half, i can lay the 1/8 dia spar reinforcement, and start skinnin. i got some gorilla glue today, its white in color, and seems the same as sumo glue.here is my progress as of now. randy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

That is huge Randy! Its going to take up the whole shop! :)
    Looks great man.. watching this one anxiously
    Mark

23. rjarois

yea mark, i test cut a wing half, and your rite....this thing is huge....the root is very wide...

24. rjarois

the eagle wing is ready for the depron skin.....all the spar carbon reinforcement is glued up...the wing skeleton as of now ready for skin is at 4.1 oz. randy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd New Member

Nice. I was getting ready to hand cut one just like that from FFF. The task of hand cutting has been preventing me from doing so though. I am glad to know that there are Phlatprinter files floating around out there. Yours looks great Randy. They sure do fly nicely after you get them trimmed out don't they? Yea, a gas version would just be plain nasty........or is that plane nasty? ;)

Flew mine this morning but the early morning sea breeze washed out any lift. Also, it was pretty turbulent. I need to dial in some dual rate settings so that I can select a higher rate for rough air.