1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Bird's the Word

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by Bohh, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Bohh

Bohh New Member

Hey all,

I've created the files needed to make an Eagle Plan based of a plan on found on RCG. Here's a sneak peak. I will post the files once I get one cut out and ensure everything is correct. Attached files [​IMG]

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Bohh, very cool i was looking at them at the model show...the fella was sold out of them thou. if you get it done soom, that will be my next phaltty cut. thanks, randy.

3. Bohh

Bohh New Member

I saw that there too. I said to myself, I need one of those! I was surprised to find a plan on RCG that was VERY similar to the product.

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

The company is dream something right? That's because he started with those download plans, also. And the original guy that drew up the plans was probably inspired by the epp eagle. I have that kit, but haven't built it. Yea, I read through that whole thread at rcgroups. :) I like the macaw version. It's your basic story, where he built one and then his friends wanted one. So he makes them one and then soon everybody wants one.

-Kwok

5. rjarois

6. Bohh

Bohh New Member

Well, I'm having trouble with my files. When I load it up in Mach the gantry is going all over the place. Red lines everywhere! And it randomly plunges and comes out.

Can someone take a look and tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks! Attached files Eagle Sheet 1.cnc (191.5 KB)Â Eagle Sheet 2.cnc (143 KB)Â Eagle Sheet 3.cnc (73.4 KB)Â

7. rjarois

Bohh, i started my bird.....mark was so kind to give me some real depron....man that stuff is nice, i never messed with it before, just foamboard....if ya wanna give mine a go, here is the files....all i did was the wings and tail so far. i didnt spend alot of time and the feathers are rough, but i figure it will fly ok. also i didnt prove it out, but it seems ok so far.randy.
    oh yea, it has a 48in span....and a 1/16dia tool.
    wing and tail cuts....
    [​IMG] Attached files eagle1.zip (20.1 KB)Â

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hi rjarois,

I had a look at you phlatcode. I think you have a problem with the two centerline cuts at the wing tips. It's not that they don't turn out right, but just takes alot of extra moves. Just looks like they are cutting each curve as separate segment, so the z probably keep moving up and down to cut the curve. On the 1st cnc file it actually looks like it's jumping to different parts of the curve during the cut. We were talking about it over here. Check out the end of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=679

-Kwok

9. rjarois

yea kwok, i seen that when it was cuttin. think i exploded the curve or something...aint no biggie with my z-axis runnin at 300ipm :lol: bohh, just wanted to tell you everything is fittin great so far...got the bird body glued up today...tryin this new glue i got at the show.....its called "ultimate foam glue" stuff seem good so far....hey let me know if i am hijackin your thread, and i will cool the postin. peace, randy.
    [​IMG]

10. Bohh

Bohh New Member

Looking good Randy! Keep posting. Birds of a feather flock together ;)

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Randy - the magic with the "Ultimate Foam Glue" is to use just enough to wet the surfaces because too much is too much!
    Stick the edges together, then peel them apart for a few seconds - then stick them together and peel them apart again for a couple seconds and when you stick them together the 3rd time, they had better be correct because it's gonna act like contact cement the 3rd time. Done!

If you just blob some on, then stick the parts together and tape everything until it sets, it will take a couple of days and will stay kinda gummy and soft forever. You will end up peeling it apart and using the glue properly, so just do it right the first time.

(now, how do I know
    that?) :oops:

By the way, this: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/stor ... oduct=3822 SURE smells, acts and performs like it's the exact same stuff, for a LOT le$$.

12. rjarois

cool thanks dennis. i didnt use alot, as the use of the blue tape. wow, that is alot cheaper, i paid 5 bucks for mine at the show...so much for show specials... randy.

13. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

14. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Dennis, thanks for the heads up on the glue. I had used the hobbycity stuff and it is gummy just like you describe it. I'll try using the way you described. I didn't use it again just because it is so gummy and didn't rally stick the part together well.

Yoram

P.S. How DO you know that? :D

15. rjarois

Bohh, i am building up the firewall....just so you know, i had to use a 9mm depron spacer for my 1/16ply firewall. i donno why, but the mount seems to far aft....maybe its just the outrunner im mountin on the bird.....anyhow just a head's up for ya man....randy.
    [​IMG]

16. rjarois

bohh, or anyone that has input....what are your thoughts on using ailerons with the v-tail??. and i was thinking about doing a Lil dihedral in the wing how much?? thanks for any advice, as most of my previous models were arf kits. randy.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Ailerons? Absolutely! All v-tails have a tendency to cross-couple some roll effect, every time you use the v-tail to turn - think of it as a set of mini-ailerons back there.
    Dihedral will tend to minimize the effectiveness of the ailerons, but they are nice for the self-stabilizing effect they have on the airplane. I would suggest 2 or 3 degrees of angle.
    At low angles, each degree equates to about seventeen-thousandths of an inch (0.017") per inch, per degree. So, if I guess the wing panels are 25 inches long and you wanted 3 degrees of dihedral, that would equal 25 (inches) X 3 (degrees) X 0.017 (inch/inch/degree) = 1.275 inches. In other words, with one panel laying flat, the other wingtip would be 1.275 inches up. That's a lot for an aileron plane - I'd suggest 2 degrees (0.85 inches).

btw, I just guessed at the length of the wing, I have not measured it or brought the model up in SketchUp.

18. rjarois

wow dennis, thanks man.....i never set-up a v-tail before, and i feel like a idiot newb r/c rookie...something about this v-tail set-up just dont seem logical in my mind....is this rite?? seems backwards to the aileron controls...thx, randy.
    [​IMG]

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Yes, that's correct! V-tails are funny, but imagine if either of those were standing vertical like a standard rudder, and then the direction of deflection looks correct.
    Those photos also make it a lot easier to understand the cross-coupling I was talking about earlier, don't they ? :roll:

20. rjarois

ahh, ok, it just sunk in....man, i figured i knew all about planes...man oh man. thx randy.

21. rjarois

bohh, how your bird coming along?? i know you told me its ok to post my eagle here...but it looks as im startin to take over your thread, lols...i really dont want to do that to ya bud..but i do want you to know, that is if your interested with some of the things i am doing on my bird. i cut a v-tail glue fixture on the phaltty to align the tail on correct angle...and also i made the top piece of the wing skin airfoiled, by using a strip of foam under it...if your interested i have the photos here. i hope your bird is coming along good. randy.
    http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn54/rjarois/

22. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Your bird is coming along really well!! Did you use an airbrush to do your painting? I saw your surface plate , I used to calibrate those things.. kool!!!

23. Bohh

Bohh New Member

I haven't had anytime to work on much of anything. Don't worry about the thread though :) You're fine. It's looking really well! Good idea about the angle template

24. rjarois

bohh, got my wing done....it came out to a 47.5in. span. painted and ready to fly it came out at 4.8oz. yes blind, i used a airbrush. all i gotta do now is glue on the v-tail, install the wing keepers, and the two servos, and then i can paint the body...the wing came out more like a hawk wing, but im still gonna do the bald eagle theme. i wanna thank mark and trish, for giving me some depron...thanks guys. randy.
    completed wing is 4.8oz.
    [​IMG]
    wing top and bottom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    wing and my phlatty
    [​IMG]

25. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Nice airbrush work, Randy. Did it take you a long time to paint it?

Yoram