1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Breaking 1/16 bits

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter Stuff' started by Chuck, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I have tried on three occasions to cut out the motor mounts using a 1/16" bit. The only bit that size I can find is a "dremel" bit and I buy them at Lowe's. I am using 1/8" lite ply. That is the really soft aircraft plywood that is actually a sheet of foam laminated between two sheet of plywood. The ply is not what I would call tough material but is strong enough to hold a motor for the foamies I build. Anyhow, cannot complete cutting more than one of these motor mounts before the bit snaps off. It breaks off about half-way down the cutting surface. I have varied the cutting speeds, but that does not help. The motor mounts can be cut out easily using the 3/32" bit but of course the holes are too large using that bit. Does anyone have any idea why these bits are breaking? Is there a source for longer, stronger 1/16" bits suitable for cutting 1/8 plywood? I will appreciate any comments and/or suggestions. Thanks.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

2. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Hi Chuck,

I don’t know if this is any help but I have profile cut countless numbers of plywood gear wheels using a 1mm cutter (for a friend who is an over enthusiastic designer and builder of wooden clocks) and have found that the glue/resin used in some batches of the laminate tends to ball up in the cutter flutes and kerf. This then causes additional loading on the cutter. To overcome my problem, I now use a low pressure air jet aimed at the cutter which helps to remove the debris but some pieces of ply still had to be discarded as unsuitable.
    I really don’t know if this could be an issue with lite-ply but it is a thought.

Tweakie.

3. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

chuck, even thou the material your cutting is rather thin, i would use the multi-pass code on it. i have cut thru 1/4 birth plywood doing faster, small depth cuts. also like tweak said, the use of moving air will help cool the cutting tool. i would try the multi-pass with 5 cuts, and you will take .025in. cuts on each pass. i didn't see how fast your feed was, but i would try around a 20ipm cut feed. randy.

4. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks to you both. The motor mounts are the one's posted by Mark and are set up already for multiple pass cuts. Most definitely will try the slower cut rate and see if that helps.

Chuck

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Before multi-pass I would cut 1/8 "real" ply with a 2 or 4 flute 1/16" end mills that I got from Enco, or MSC (I forget which place I got them). The 2 flute cut faster ( about 12IPM) but the 4 flute made nicer cuts at about 8ipm. I used the 4 flute to make hot wire templates and they required no sanding. Now I'm using the 1/16" bits from the bit kit Mark and Trish are selling, and have been using the multi-pass (first the one from FozzyBear, and now the one built into the phlatscript) option, and have had no problems with breaking bits.

6. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks. I will get busy and order Marks bit-kit. Also, would like to experiment with the 2 and 4 flute end mills. I guess I just Google ENCO or MSC, right?

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

7. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

MSC = mscdirect.com
    Enco = http://www.use-enco.com

Enco is the "bargain" branch of MSC. I forget exactly what I paid for them, but it was under $10.00 a bit. One of them had the mills in 1/8" shaft and the other didn't.

Actually today it is topeka, not google ;) Attached files [​IMG]