1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Bug: Plunge tool alignment in grouped object

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by mx270a, Jan 12, 2014.

1. mx270a

mx270a New Member

I'm running SketchUp 8 with SketchUCam 1.1b and I think I've found a bug in the alignment of plunge holes when they are in a group. I drew a serial port connector, which is basically a rectangle and two holes. If I generate GCode from that, everything is normal. However, if I group those together, the alignment of the holes is off. The reason for grouping was that I had several of these and used the ReOrder Groups button to determine what order to do the cut.

Attached Files:

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I could not replicate the error. Can you post the .skp file?

3. mx270a

mx270a New Member

Attached is a .skp file with two of the same part. The top one is grouped, the bottom one isn't. I also attached the generated gcode file which has the offset plunges.

Attached Files:

4. TigerPilot

I didn't figure it out yet but I found that it does it even if it is not grouped. I exploded it and re-generated the g-code and it does it still. I erased the top one, which causes the problem, copied the bottom one and placed the new copy in the same place and the problem is still there. I'll look into it more.

5. TigerPilot

I don't know what you did but the shift that you see is the center of the drilled hole, in the g-code, goes from one end of the red line to the other. Basically the shift is the radius of the hole you drew.

I know that there is a problem with the plunge tool if there is a line that crosses the circle that the plunge tool draws. I try not to use lines to mark the center of a hole where I want to put the plunge tool. I try to use the center.rb to mark the center and then use it to get the plunge tool to snap to it. If it is a shape that can't have a center mark I use small lines, smaller than the tool radius, to mark the center of the whole. If I have no choice and there is a line running through the plunge tool I erase them.

If you'll erase the lines that run through your hole and redo the plunge tool you will see that you have no more problems and you are able to group the parts any way you want, and can think of, and it will make the g-code perfect every time.

6. mx270a

mx270a New Member

Removing the extra lines does resolve this. What is this center.rb plugin that you speak of?

7. TigerPilot

Actually it's called centerpoint.rb. If you look in the, I think, plugin menu you'll see there is a plugin that says 'Set Center Point'. I use it to get the center of objects, mainly circles.