1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

C02 Laser on ATTF

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by dhc8guru, Nov 10, 2010.

1. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I heard on the ATTF podcast some months back them mention in there news about a company that came out with an inexpensive hobby grade CO2 laser. I have searched back and can't find the episode. Internet search came up with nothing either.

I guess what the big deal was is this laser was going to be very inexpensive, something like under a couple hundred bucks or something like that.

If anyone remembers this episode and who the company was, I think it may be a possible solution to setting up the MK III with laser capabilities.

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Man that would be cool. Hopefully someone remembers...

3. AlphaGeek

AlphaGeek New Member

It's possible to build a 25w CO2 assembly for the for about $1000 but the sites that really know lasers are very skeptical of the site that is *claiming* to be coming out with an inexpensive ($300-$500) hobby-grade C02.

Peter+

4. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Hi Guys,

Although It is possible to build to build a small CO2 laser for under $1000 i think you would have to be prepared to source as many parts as possible such as mirrors, mounts and lens possibly 'second user'.

I added a CO2 laser to my existing wood router, took a while to get all the parts together, some second user via ebay and some parts such as the PSU new from China but the tube, mirrors and mounts were from the US and lens from Israel.
    This would not be a project for the faint hearted as there are a number of dangers with fire being close to the top of the list however it can be done.

If anyone is interested, there is some more information and details of my project here http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/27.htm

Tweakie.

5. crash5050

crash5050 Member

FIRE!! We love fire, pyromaniacs we are!

6. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

:D :D

I understand the joke but seriously, depending on the type of glue used, Liteply ignites almost instantly without air assist.
    Unless you are feeling very lucky lasers are never left unattended, even for a comfort break, when inflammable material is being cut.

Tweakie.

7. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

After seeing your page, Tweakie, I made up my mind! It's too much work to get it done. For now I'll skip it. If there will be simple kit in the future I'll rethink my options. :D

8. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

A lot of work indeed. Knowing what I know now I could complete the task in half the time but that applies to everything I think. :D
    The diode type lasers are improving and coming down in price all the time, perhaps, one day, this may lead to a future project.

Tweakie.

9. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Wouldn't that be sweet watching my new Phlatprinter burn to the ground :x

I

10. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

And possibly watch your home go with it ?

Tweakie.

11. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

You know, I like fire,... I even like fire in my house... I just prefer it in a nice cozy fireplace instead of a $1000 machine...

I think I'll avoid lasers and all there inherent risk untill a much later date. I know they can be done right, just my luck that I'd do it wrong...

12. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I'm with ya...you know the old movie bit where the guy saws through the saw horse trying to cut some wood? I would be that guy only it would be the laser cutting the phlatprinter, table its sitting on and the concrete floor below in half. :shock:

My wife and I just bought our house so I don't think setting it on fire would pull over well. I have even got onto my wife about leaving here laptop plugged in when know one is home. Look at Grand RC, a charging Drill lithium battery pack torched the new place.

13. ExplodingLemur

ExplodingLemur New Member

14. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I saw some 40w lasers with a power supply in the $500 range. Now I just need to do some research and planning to make it happen