1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Center Line Tool Depth

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by Charles Ely, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Charles Ely

Charles Ely New Member

My material is 5mm thick plywood. The G-Code for a center line is always Z-2.500. It's easy to fix with a find and replace in Notepad, but I would rather see Z2.500.

All other depths are correct.

I design the T-Trak module kits for http://t-kits.com/ using Sketchup. The modeler assembles our kits and then adds tracks and scenery to the modules. Modules snap together to form rather large layouts at train shows. This is the video from the Temple, Texas train show.

Chuck Ely
    chuck@t-kits.com

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

Chuck, please read the help (-: It is not perfect but it does explain how this works in some detail.
    also see threads like
    http://www.phlatforum.com/xenforo/threads/3d-cnc-text.3219/#post-35184
    and
    http://www.phlatforum.com/xenforo/threads/quick-phlatscript-intro-video.1137/#post-35185

briefly....
    when you click on the centerline tool you get an edit box in the bottom right corner of sketchup, which will show 50% until you change it either by typing a new number and pressing enter, or by using the arrow keys to switch between the predefined values 25 50 75 100. It will remember your last setting until you close sketchup.

The fold and pocket tools use the same depth setting mechanism.

This statement does not make sense in terms of how SketchUcam works. The top of the material is Z0, thus if you want any kind of cut, Z needs to be negative. Z2.5 would move the cutter at 2.5mm above the surface. All the Gcode is generated considering the tool bit has been set at the surface of the material, lower left corner (for a gantry type machine), and then X Y and Z are zeroed at that point. All cutting takes place to the right and away (positive X and Y movements) from that o,o,o point, and cuts into the material are negative Z movements.
    Inside and outside cut will cut to below the bottom surface of the material (make sure you have a spoil board and set 'inside/outside overcut percentage in the parameters correctly) and folds, centerlines and pockets will normally be at some percentage of the material thickness. Plunge cuts can drill all the way through or be some percentage of depth.

Hope this helps you turn out more t-kits, those are cool. I have a lot of HO stuff in boxes.... must dig it out for New Years Eve I think....

Rowedent likes this.
  3. Charles Ely

Charles Ely New Member

Hi Swarfer,

Knowing that the top of the material is Z zero makes all the difference in the world. I obviously missed that. I spent the morning making G-Code for several modules and SketchuCam has everything we need.

Now I need to find somebody with a PhlatPrinter III near Austin, Texas...who is willing to let me cut a module.

Chuck Ely
    chuck@t-kits.com

4. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

fantastic!
    there are others but one I know is Michael Hancock who is in Waco. find him at http://thecrashcast.com/ contact email is in the header of the page. He also has a 4'x4' overhead gantry machine that may be better suited to what you're doing.

5. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Shoot me an email, Chuck. I'm certain I can lend you a hand and I'm just up I-35. :D