1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Centerline cut direction for outside of milled pockets

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by RJGritter, Nov 21, 2011.

1. RJGritter

RJGritter New Member

Hey guys, I need some help here. I'm getting my PP3 running very well and knocking out little annoyances one by one. I'm having an issue when milling out pockets. In Sketchup, I use the Pocket tool to generate the cutpaths inside each milled pocket, and then use the Sketchucam Centerline tool (at 50% depth) on those pocket paths to generate the G-code. That works fine... it zig-zags back and forth to mill out the pocket and then goes around the outside profile to clean up the pocket.

However, I think it's going the wrong way around the profile... it goes Counter-clockwise around, and from my experience hand-milling airplanes, it should be moving around clockwise to get the cleanest cut possible. Here's a picture of the resulting pocket... you can see how much trash it leaves around the edges.

Is there any easy way to reverse that direction, or am I wrong about what's causing the rough edges? I've tried multiple bits and feedrates and always get that ugly edge.

Thanks guys,

RJ Attached files [​IMG]

2. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

Are all of the other cuts fine? You might know this already, but make sure you select the "Overhead Gantry" checkbox in the Phlatboys Properties in Sketchup.

3. RJGritter

RJGritter New Member

Yes sir, I do have that checked, and all the other cuts come out just fine. Come to think of it I don't know what direction it cuts them... I just feel like cutting the other direction would clean up this problem.

I read somewhere that reversing the faces in Sketchup might convince Sketchucam to cut them the other direction... any truth to that?

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Yep... If you have a reversed face you will find the inside tool is an outside tool, and vise-versa. Not exactly sure how that translates to the pocket tool, as I haven't needed it yet as I mostly cut wood with my PP

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

RJ,
    Right now I don't think we have a way of telling the centerline tool which way to go but you are right in your thinking that it should go the other way for a clean cut.

6. RJGritter

RJGritter New Member

I've been playing with this... annoyingly, even turning off "Overhead Gantry" does not reverse the cut direction in the G-code. Reversing the faces doesn't change it either.

I'm trying to find a way to do it in the Ruby scripts, but, without any existing knowledge of how the SketchuCam/Phlatscript scripts are set up... I'm not going to get very far with that. I'm just chasing functions from one file to the next... not too optimistic.

This isn't really THAT big a deal of course, but it is annoying to know exactly what's causing the problem and not be able to fix it. My airplanes tend to get a lot of scrutiny at events, so I'd love to not have to explain that it isn't the PP3's fault, it's just some incorrect CAM work!

7. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Instead of using the pocket tool try using the inside cut tool, phlatten, repeat, then apply the centerline tool. This might make the ceterline tool follow the right direction.

8. RJGritter

RJGritter New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but no such luck. That still cuts CCW.

The closest I've come so far is by using the inside cut tool with a bit diameter of zero and half the true material thickness. That makes the cuts go clockwise, but it still moves around the path segments CCW... so it plunges, cuts one line segment clockwise, pulls the bit out, then moves CCW to the next line segment, plunge, cut that CW, and so on. Not exactly what I'm hoping for.

9. RJGritter

RJGritter New Member

Well, I have what seems to be a workaround for now.

First, set the parameters up for a bit diameter of .25" (my milling bit) and use the milling depth in place of the material thickness. Use the inside cut tool on the milling pocket face, then use the pocket tool on the resulting inner face, then the centerline tool (at 100% depth) on the resulting pocket lines. That way, the tool still cuts the pocket line backwards, but then goes around the additional outer path clockwise to clean it up.

Annoying... but it should work! Attached files [​IMG]

10. RJGritter

RJGritter New Member

Naturally, you then have to have totally separate files for the milling paths and the cutting paths... but I've been splitting it up like this anyway. I find it's just easier to have separate CNC files than to manually group all the milling together in Sketchup, manually insert pauses for tool-changes, and then have to bookmark, re-zero, and start the cut back from that bookmark.

11. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Maybe try this... Make your parameter 1/2 bit size smaller than it should actually be. Example: If you are using a 1/8 bit and have a 1" square, make your square 1/16 smaller to compensate for the bit offset then apply an outside path to it. Now proceed with your pocketing.

That should cut the parameter in a CW path... :eek: but wait, you will need to have a separate depth than your other outside cuts, hmmm, try using fold lines instead of outside cuts?

I will think about this more. :ugeek:

12. RJGritter

RJGritter New Member

Actually, the inside cut path cuts CW... the outside cut path should cut CCW, right??

I realized that if I modify the pocket tool to skip adding the offset line, I can make this even simpler... just apply the pocket tool to create the zig-zag pattern, then apply the inside cut tool to create the perimeter cut. Then I don't have to deal with multiple sizes of perimeter cuts.

You still have to have all the milling in a separate file, though... but I've been doing this anyway. I always use 3 different bits (milling, hinge bevel cutting, and actual cutting), and it's easier to have separate files than to have to manually select all the milling features and add them to a group, to keep everything in order for tool changes.

Now, if only Sketchucam could default to 3 different bits, and keep track of what operations use what bit, and put them all in order, with appropriate tool-change stops... :D My life would be that much more complete. But I do a fair amount of coding myself... I know that's not exactly simple.

13. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

HI RJ, I have attached a test file for you and may have an easy work around to control direction. Try the file and see how I was able to get the one triangle to go clockwise and the other CCW on the outside line of the pocket! We may need to talk to explain better. BTW what bit are you using for your pockets I cant seem to get a perfectly smooth pocket, if you look at an angle you can see the ridge at each pass, I beleive it is just the type of bit I am using and that is a 1/4" end mill 4 flute.

John Attached files pocket direction test.cnc (10.9 KB)Â

14. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

RJ, read over this thread, you will find it very helpful, Kwok is amazing and helped me out with similar problems! :doubleup:
    I had centerline cutting issues which in turn helped me through other problems I had when making pockets! viewtopic.php?f=102&t=2301
    Hope this helps
    John