1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Change Default Script

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by thomasnc41, Apr 3, 2009.

1. thomasnc41

thomasnc41 New Member

I am trying to set my defaults on the PhlatScript. I have changed some of the setting in the "Constants.rb" file and they work fine. When I generate the gcode, the "Z" transit height is always set to "Z 0.050". Where would I look to find this default setting?

Thanks for all your hard work..................Tom

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but remember that Z dimensions are reversed, since the router comes up from underneath. Because of that, cutting heights are expressed as NEGATIVE numbers, so the Z-transit dimension (being a POSITIVE number) says how far BELOW the table height to set the router when in transit between parts. It's set like this so the router doesn't draw a line in the foam between parts.
    Personally, I've found it easy to open the .cnc file in Notepad and simply "find and replace" dimensions or commands with whatever I wanted. For example, you could "find" "Z 0.050" and "replace" with "Z 0.025", and be done in less than a minute. Sorry, but I'm lazy. :oops:
    So, why do you need to set the transit height to something different. :?:

3. thomasnc41

thomasnc41 New Member

Dorsal,

Thanks again............I do the same with Notepad but it looked like maybe something I could do to just avoid that step. I'm not real fimiliar with the Ruby Script but I just trying to work through some things to see if I can make my work more efficient.

Thanks again, Tom

4. thomasnc41

thomasnc41 New Member

Still can't figure this one out. It's not a big issue, its just one of those things I know should be an easy fix and I'd like to know how.................

Thanks in advance for any help...............Tom

5. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I believe what you are trying to change is a parameter in the ruby scripts called "retract_depth". It is located in two separate files, PhlatCncMill.rb and PhlatMill.rb

change the line that reads @retract_depth = 0.05 to whatever value you want it to be, but remember, when a new version is released you will need to check it again.

6. thomasnc41

thomasnc41 New Member

Flash,

That was it !!! :D :mrgreen: :D I have looked through both of those files but never seen that. I would be embarrassed to tell you how much time I have spent with that little nagging thing. Thanks a bunch..............................Tom

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Oh crap - you mean there really IS a smart way to make that change? :eek:

8. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Maybe some nice programmer will make that a settings parameter in a future release. Seems like a good candidate for a future update.