1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

change from 1/8 to 1/16 bit

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by actaline, Jun 14, 2010.

1. actaline

actaline New Member

I'm going to test the 1/16 bit that comes with the bit kit available at the shop and i have a couple of questions from the more expert people:
    1) Is it still good for cutting depron
    2) what about the feed rate: should be increased or decreased

Many thanks for any help

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello actaline,

With that bit you can cut very fast and you will not run the risk of melting, but it will create some dust. I cut at about 100 to 150 ipm when using it.
    If you use the 1/16 Dremel bit # 569 (grout removal bit) https://www.hardwareworld.com/Grout-Rem ... GDS38.aspx
    You will get a nicer cut with almost no dust, but need to slow your cut speeds down. I use about 80 ipm on this one.
    Hope this helps
    Mark

3. actaline

actaline New Member

many thanks for the hints Mark. I'll look here at Dremel display wall for the #569 too.

It should be a spot trial: I have to simulate the knife cut using the Phlatscript CenterLine tool on little glider shapes. In such a way I hope kids can easy complete the cutting of shapes with plastic knifes and still obtaining a good cutting job.
    Building a free flying glider from "half" scratch is really much more fun for them.

4. kram242

Your more then welcome :)
    For score lines like that I usually use 10 to 15% depth and that works out well. Please share pics when you get some of these complete :)
    Mark

5. actaline

actaline New Member

here is the result: these are intended to be 6 kit to cut from. I'm using a 5 mm XPS sheet available here. Deep of score is setted to 100% with center-line tool due to uneven surface and uncalibrated Z, while upward flap score deep is set to 50% with fold tool.
    I see I can set deep manually i.e. to 30% but when click enter it goes back to standard values 25, 50, 75 ...

Patter is from http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/TRC/Ae ... _WING.html

I have added a fuso i have called the "turbo fitting" :p

Kids cut with the plastic knife and do profile with sand paper. With the "turbo fitting" it can reach about 20 feet high with a large looping and then gentle glide.
    Action pic is from styrene tray

Carlo Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

You are not supposed to click enter when you set the depth. You just enter the depth that you want and use the tool, as in 'center line' tool or 'fold' tool ect.

7. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

sure wish they didn't want an arm and a leg for those bits. Just nervous of the ease it might break. :(

8. actaline

actaline New Member

Many thanks TigerPilot, I see solution was just a click back :p

Pls don't worry frankrcfc, kids are working on already scored sheets using the plastic knife

9. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Keeping those kids busy. Thats a good way of doing it for sure. ;)

10. kram242

Great pictures Carlo! That last one say it all for us :D Thank you for sharing
    Looks like you are getting the hang of the Phlatprinter quickly.
    One thing to mention is that if you want a centerline to cut all the way through you can do a depth cut of 110 and that should do it.
    Have fun :D
    Mark and Trish

11. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

That is too fun Carlo, nothing like watching our kids have fun :) Keep up the great work!! :cool:

John