1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Changing bit size

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by Ringo Davis, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Ringo Davis

Ringo Davis Member

lets say you have a drawing and the bit size is set to 1/16th. You do all the inside and out cuts, holes, fold lines etc. Then you realize you don't have a 1/16th bit and need to use a 1/8th. Do you have to erase all the cuts and redo them, or when you generate the Gcode will it still work?

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

if you swap bits the parts will come out small unless you reapply all the cuts with the new size.
    this is because the cuts are offset from the parts by half bit diameter.

3. Ringo Davis

Ringo Davis Member

thanks, that is what I thought but I wanted to be sure before I started it over.

4. swarfer

Don't forget you can just copy and paste the existing drawing into a new area of the file and do new cutlines in the copy, then move the 'safe area' to the one you want before you generate Gcode.

also, with V1.3a you can select portions (or all) of the stuff in the safe area and only generate Gcode for the selected items.

5. Ringo Davis

Ringo Davis Member

Oh thats cool.
    Is there a good tutorial somewhere that says how all the features work? Like for example there is something to rearrange how groups are cut but I don;t know how to do it..

6. swarfer

go to youtube and search for 'swarfer sketchucam' and watch all my videos on the topic. (-;
    not that they are perfect or the best, but they do exist and will get you started much faster than anything else.

in particular the one about using 2.5D cuts to make 3D things will help you understand the use of the safe area.

also, every tool is detailed in the SketchUcam help, which for the reorder tool says

Reorder Groups Tool - Redorder groups to change cut order
    Grouped cuts will be cut first, in the order they were grouped. However, in order to edit a group it has to be exploded. Grouping it again affects the cut order.
    To reorder groups select this tool and then simply click on each group in the order you want them cut.
    You can use the 'Tools|Phlatboyz|Groups Summary' menu item to see the current group ordering.

A side effect of the above is that all plunge holes will cut first since they are 'autogrouped'

<rant> (*with smile.... sort of :)
    programmers hate to write help.
    it takes hours to write help.
    to avoid having an annoyed programmer, please read the help
    or in other words
    RTFM
    </rant>
    o_O

7. Ringo Davis

Ringo Davis Member

cool, thanks