1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Chip on x is bad

Discussion in 'Easy CNC Driver Card' started by TigerPilot, Jul 27, 2011.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I so did't want to get the Easy CNC board but decided in the end to get it with the kit because it was convenient. I'm now regretting it. I never really got to run my machine. I made maybe 4, very short, test cuts but mostly I was spending my time trying to calibrate the machine. I checked, periodically, if the chips get warm. They did, but not to much so. I have bigger stepper on the x and the y. First I thought that the problem was that the pulley slipped on the x stepper. That was one of the problems, it turned out. The other problem was that the chip did not work properly. The motor sometimes barely moved and it looked like it's missing steps then it would work fine but mostly not. After changing motors I finally pulled the board out. It was a chore to get the chip out without cracking the chip-seat. I replaced the x chip with the z chip and the motor runs like a charm.

I'm very unhappy. Now I have to wait on Digi Key until they ship me the new chip. I bought three, might as well since the shipping is the same. Now I'm out over $13 per chip and I didn't even finished calibrating. I should have gotten the Geco. :girl_cray2:

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I just got a stepperworld board to replace my easy-cnc board, I wish i would have had the cash to go to the gecko board, i thought $99 was a good price + $18 for the Mofset upgrade until I found out that you have to run power resistors to bring the voltage inline for your stepper motors.

So $44 in resistors and it's still not running yet.

I do have 2 new of the Digikey chips that are new, one of my sockets cracked under the heat so the old chip was fine, just couldn't get a connection

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I thought I don't have the money for the Geco either but by the time I'll replace a chip or two I probably have almost paid for the Geco. Sometimes the more expensive is the less expensive in the long run. :fugly: