1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

CNCUSB Settings Issue

Discussion in 'Planet - CNC USB Software' started by SEV1, May 5, 2011.

1. SEV1

SEV1 New Member

While calibrating and measuring the backlash on our Phlat3/CNCUSB combo, I encountered an issue with the settings not updating/storing backlash values.

Since the values were so small, I was unable to visually see that the backlash compensation was not working. It was only after several iterations of setting, measuring and re-checking the mechanical set-up that I realized that the inputted values were having no effect. And yes, I had the newest software/firmware installed.

I decided to start fresh using the Phlat settings that Mark supplied for the new rollers.
    After loading the settings file, I set the backlash compensation for 0.5” so that I could visually check that it indeed was working, (it was). I then re-did the calibration, measured for backlash, set and re-measured the machine and was generally happy with the measured results.

Dynamic set-up:

The foam & plywood parts that I am cutting are stacked onto each other into a group, and then the group is mounted to an aluminum part that has the same profile shape and bolt-hole pattern. The aluminum part was water-jet cut and it’s pretty close to perfect in regard to my original CAD drawing.

My priority is to get our current prototype back in the air so I adjusted the Phlatprinters settings just enough to get the foam and wood parts to match up to the aluminum part, (good enough for now).
    All of aforementioned parts match, and they match the aluminum part. But the tool does not come back to the “zero” start point.

I am not going to tout myself as some CNC set-up expert, but this isn’t my first barbeque. My initial take on what I have encountered is that it is NOT entirely a mechanical issue; I think it is software related.

The more I think about it the more it hurts my head.
    This is essentially an open loop system, its counting steps to figure out where it is. If the system is indeed having mechanical slippage/slop then the START & FINISH points of a complex profile shape should not line up, period. - Not unless it was a closed-loop system that could determine where it was and try to compensate.

P.S. - Another thing I discovered was that when I zero out the “Y” axis the “Z” axis value will change –quite annoying.

2. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

I have had similar experiences with my machine. I am running the CNCUSB combo on my machine as well using Marks settings file, although I am working mostly with EPP foam and 1/16 plywood. I attributed my home return errors to slight movement of the materials I'm cutting on the drive rollers. All of my cut parts match up perfectly from sheet to sheet so I'm really happy with the accuracy and repeatability of the machine. I do notice the home returns are randomly off. Sometimes they hit spot on, sometimes the home return will be off by 1/4 - 3/8 inch.

I hadn't noticed the backlash issue you're describing. I had added .015 backlash to my X axis & .012 to my Y axis a while back. It didn't seem to help the square edges I was seeing on the 1/4" circles I have in some of my parts layouts. Last week after doing a hard drive change in my computer I use to run my machine I did a software reload, imported Mark's settings and ran a trial cut. Near perfect 1/4" circles without even doing a calibration check. This leads me to think there could be something not yet quite right with the backlash software.

3. Kroko

Kroko Member

I tried with very low backlash value and it works fine. What do you mean that setting is not stored? If your tool does not return to start point then you're probably loosing steps. Most common reason is, that "Jog Decelerate" setting in not checked and machine is loosing steps when you jog.
    If you're using version 20110204 then backlash should work.

When you zero "Y" axis, "Z" axis value should not change. What exactly are you doing?

4. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Thanks for the quick diagnostic Kroko! I'll take another look at my settings file when I get back home this evening. My jog decelerate setting may very well be the issue. Thanks.
    :good:

5. SEV1

SEV1 New Member

Hi Kroko,
    I have the version you mention.
    There were times when I would input a backlash value, export the settings file and then proceed to re-measure with the new backlash value. Even though the settings file would show the value, the machine would not perform the backlash.
    I got the backlash to work by starting over with the basic settings file that Mark provided with the new rollers.
    Parts are cut pretty well, when the tool is returned to 0,0,0 it might be off some of the time. It is odd to me that the parts are being cut OK, but it does not return to 0,0,0.
    Regarding the “Z” axis change..
    Let’s say I have zeroed out all three axes, and then I decide to re-position my “X” & “Y”.
    – If I jog the “Z” plus one inch, (as to not scratch the material) then move the “X” & “Y” to their new positions, when I individually zero the “X” axis just the “X” axis value will be re-set to 0.
    When I individually zero the “Y” axis the “Y” axis value will be re-set to zero AND the “Z” axis will change from +1” to some random plus or minus number. ** I should have noted that ONLY the value of the "Z" axis changes, the "Z" axis does not move to a random coordinate value.

6. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

I haven't invested too much time into this myself but I've noticed a few issues with the backlash that has made me revert back to 0 backlash as well.

I had the backlash dialed in and making pretty darn near perfect circles in all sorts of materials. Between .009" and .012" was producing pretty consistent cuts as long as the pieces were small to medium sized-say 12cm dia. This worked quite well for some of the simple tests I was throwing at it. When I tried a 'real' job, a few airplanes, I got some sloppy returns (homes). Some of the cuts didn't measure right and appeared to have overshoot. I tried a nice 3D job (http://www.phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1730&start=50#p28055) originally with backlash comp on. The roughing pass on the X axis started overshooting on each successive movement, the bigger the movement, the more the overshoot.

I switched it back to 0 backlash, plugged a new piece of foam on the machine and it worked perfectly.

With 0 backlash, the complex cuts provided a consistent length and return back to 0 with maybe at best a .05+/- after a long job. Circles are not quite perfect with on the P3 with zero backlash, even though I have checked and rechecked the calibration many times. They are still good enough for most applications.

As a workaround, I've taken to making two files. One with backlash cutting circles only, and one with no backlash for all the piece cuts.

7. Kroko

Kroko Member

When machine has freeplay it is important that you always approach position from same direction. Some issues that you're having can be because of this.
    Perhaps someone can explain this better than me.

8. ToxicToast

I ran some backlash tests the other day with the newest planet cnc software (20110519).

As I mentioned before, when I use zero X backlash everything performs precisely and I am very pleased with the results. However, circle cuts have a predictably irregular shape indicating a need for backlash on the X. The problem is subtle, but can be annoying.

The measured backlash appears to be between .009 and .012, and I have experimented with a range of these numbers. When backlash is on, the shape of circles improves considerably. Unfortunately, while the shape of the circle improves, it comes at the expense of everything else.
    The numbers indicate the cut order, which was manually set to sequence the travel.

I created this SKU file for testing and demonstration of the problem.

The backlash cut in the photo was after the machine was recalibrated with backlash on. Jog Decceleration is turned on (checked) in the Jog settings menu, as Kroko mentioned.

Can anyone else with a P3 try this test out? Kroko, is there a possibility this is software related?

Thanks! Attached files BacklashCalibrationTool.cnc (69.9 KB)Â BacklashCalibrationTool.skp (927.2 KB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Kroko

Kroko Member

Can you try to cut version with backlash again but with very very low speed.

10. ToxicToast

Kroko-

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this as I've been on work-travel the last week.

I just tried it at 5ipm with .009 backlash on the X. Slow as molasses but the cut problem was identical to the photo at 35ipm. Thus, I am reasonably sure it is not a problem with the machine or code. It could be a config problem but it is more than likely something in the formula used in the backlash implementation.

Either that, or the Planet CNC card-which I highly doubt. Machine does not appear to miss any steps and it works flawlessly when 0 backlash is on.

The only thing I have not attempted is to bypass the USBCNC and use Mach to run the code. Perhaps I will get the chance to do that today.

Chris. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Kroko

Kroko Member

Thank you. I'll do some tests now.
    This really looks very strange.

12. Kroko

Kroko Member

I changed test g-code a little. I removed pockets. Can you try to cut this with normal speed and backlash active.

Attached files BacklashCalibrationTool-NoPocket.cnc (19.7 KB)Â

13. ToxicToast

I ran the code earlier today. Still signs of the same problem. And it disappears completely when I set it to zero backlash.

Notice the center line is off, and the circle in the top right corner is off by a good 2-3mm. Also, each concentric ring is offset slightly to the right, and it should be equidistant.

Thanks for looking into this and I look forward to getting this solved! Attached files [​IMG]

14. ToxicToast

I should be clear, I've had this same problem in foam cuts as well so I don't think it is a loading issue. It looks like an exponential issue, the longer the cut, the greater the drift.

15. ToxicToast

Update: I finally rewired my machine to try Mach with the same code I posted for this test. With backlash set to .009 in Mach, the file cut accurately.

Thanks for looking into this, Andrej. Attached files [​IMG]

16. Kroko

Kroko Member

I will find what is wrong. I hope soon.
    Thank you for all tests you made. It is great help.

17. Kroko

Kroko Member

Here is experimental version that might solve the issue:
    http://www.planet-cnc.com/files/Files20-20110612_BETA.zip

I can not test it myself on real machine but I've done a lot of simulations.

Please try to cut original test pattern and see if problem is solved. Fingers crossed. :doubleup:

Thank you
    Andrej

18. ToxicToast

Thanks Andrej! I'll report back when I have some results! (might take a few days before I have a chance to run the code)

Really appreciate you looking into this. I know your are super busy with the baby and the cool projects. Must be tough to handle the SW and HW load at the same time!

19. checkers

checkers New Member

So, what happened next?
    Did the beta code make a difference?
    Will Lisa marry Bob?
    Did the network run out of money and cancel the show?

20. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

21. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:D
    I think this was right around the time Andrej(the creator of cncusb) baby was born. So now free time is a thing of the past for him (at least for a little while) :)
    You may be able to catch him over at his cncusb forum and find out a little more information.
    http://forum.planet-cnc.com/
    Mark and Trish

22. ToxicToast

I need to do a tad bit of tuning, but I think Andrej has resolved the backlash issue that I was experiencing. I haven't had any significant issues of accumulated offset for a while.

Chris.