1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

ComBAT

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by kram242, Dec 9, 2008.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

ComBAT
    This plane was designed for air combat it can land/crash any-which-way and it will right itself and be ready for take off again.

This video is long but it shows the toughness of the comBat

Here we are on the water

Note *
    There are two versions the Vamped up version that has a vampire style to it and the original version. Also note that depron is way too brittle for this design. Use fan fold!

Here is the Vamped up version done in sketchup with the code for the Phlatprinter ready to cut

Here are the PDF plans for the original version done up by Gene Bond
    comBAT_Full.pdf

To get your rod and connectors go here
    http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/33?osCsid=2baa2b74e16ce7300ee029a102b441c2

Different ideas for side panel designs

Build pics
    For others build logs go to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517997 This is where the main build log is located for this aircraft Attached files

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Combat VampedUp.zip (2.5 MB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] hlatforumVB/converted_files/110=1181-DSC07999_(Medium).jpg" class="gc-images" title="DSC07999_(Medium).jpg" style="max-width:300px" /> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] comBAT_Full.pdf (32.8 KB)Â [​IMG]

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Mark, in the RCGroup thread there is a talk and a picture of a version with rudder. The drawing here are without. Is there a reason for it? It didn't work out with the rudder?

Yoram

3. kram242

I never made it with a rudder. I'm sure it would work though and like you said some of the guys added it and it seems to work fine.
    I used elevons only on this design and most of my designs really. I just like the way an elevon plane flies. :D
    Mark

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

This is a really cool design Mark.
    Do you know what the all up weight was or around?
    I'm gonna see if I can talk some guys into combating with these at our field.

5. kram242

3DMON, To be honest I don't remember but as you can imagine it was quite heavy :) I think one guy built one out of EPP that should make it lighter. But if you use a big enough motor/prop you will be fine. I think I used my standard 10X4.7 SF prop.
    They might have some weights posted on the rcgroups thread I will look around and see if I can find it.
    Mark

6. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Okay, I just had to have one.... Has anyone flown one of these? I assume you have to take off and land vertically! Should be interesting... will find out tomorrow.

Attached files [​IMG]

7. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Flash...
    You should watch Marks video. It shows how Mark takes off with it.

8. kram242

Flashsolutions, This is too cool! It never ceases to amaze me when I see the code cut out on other peoples machines. :)

Great job on the build. just to let you know I always take off from the laying down position. It will take off right-side up or upside down :D I suggest you fly over a big parking lot somewhere that way you can really test it out .
    One thing I am seeing it that the carbon rod you are using seems like it should have a little bigger arch in it or she will always want to flip over. You can experiment with that and find the sweet spot.
    Other then that
    Just pull back full flaps an let her rise. I really took mine out and beat the heck out of it and it was a lot of fun.
    I really wished at the time that I knew someone else they was into flying and lived close by so we could combat it in a parking lot but I still had a lot of fun bouncing around the ground and trying burnouts:)
    I hope you guys have just as much fun and more.
    Please keep us updated
    Mark

9. Eric

Eric Eball

How do you think it would translate about half scale for indoor combat would be a really sweat little plane to fill the sky of a gym with. Thanks for the awesome design

10. kram242

It WILL be the last plane still flying and no one will want to combat with you :D
    pro tip: Overpower it so it can get the job done :banger:

11. kram242

Added the video to the first post :)