1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Commercial use of PhlatScript generated g-code

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by gasmasher, Apr 29, 2009.

1. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

I am confused about the licensing of PhlatScripT and have decided to not to do anything with my idea until I have a clear answer. I am perfectly willing to come up with my own plugin so that I don't violate the spirit of the intended license.

I saw this quote in the download thread:
    Does this mean I am not allowed to sell parts cut using g-code generated by PhlatScripT?

Please understand I am not trying to be a jerk about this but the GPL and the spirit of open source do not restrict commercial gain. The idea is to allow access to source code so that people can customize things (software/hardware/etc..) as desired without restriction.

If I am allowed to sell the parts I make using g-code generated by PhlatScripT I am willing to post the skp files here.

2. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

The license refers to the Rubyscript code that allows Sketchup to generate gcode, not the gcode itself.

You are not allowed to make money by reselling the ruby script code that is used by sketchup to generate gcode.

The license does not restrict you from selling planes and such that you cut out using gcode generated by the platscript. If it did, most of us would be in violation, speaking for myself, because I sell planes that I make.

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

You can sell parts made with the phatscript g-code. That's what people are openly doing. I would contact, Mark & Trish Carew directly about the wording.

I see flash beat me to it. Man, it took me 10 minutes to write 2 sentences. :roll:

-Kwok

4. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Thanks guys, that is pretty much what I was expecting. I've written a lot of FLOSS code and patches and some people have different ideas about what the GPL means. I just wanted to participate in the expected ideals here.

This seems to be a nice community and I hope I didn't come off with the wrong tone. I am still going to post the skp files of my cases because it really is more fun for me to share than sell.... and I'm obviously a really bad salesman.

5. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Welcome to the PhlatClub. I think you will see that we don't bite. Good bunch of fellows and gals that hang out here.

The only thing we have to be careful about is posting stuff that may be copyrighted. If you find a plane on RCgroups you want to share, ask the author for permission.

If you design your own, this is a great place to share your ideas and plans.

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

You guys are completely right :)
    gasmasher, you are welcome to use the script to generate gcode that you make money on. The main thing that we are try to protect is the program from being sold, because it is open source :)
    Welcome to the Phlatforum!
    We hope you can pull from this resource and learn as we are. This is a great place for that and for sharing ideas and designs.
    lol I know the feeling, we look forward to your input here and to your ideas. If you want help or have any questions at all please feel free to shoot us a PM or an email and we will do our best to help you out.
    p.s. good to know that you are a programmer ;)
    Have fun
    Mark and Trish

7. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

That is actually how I earn a paycheck. I've been employed as a programmer since I was 17 and that was over a decade ago. If there is any programming help needed just let me know.

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

That's cool man! thank you so much for the offer we are always looking for help there to keep the project moving forward.
    I may need to ask you a few things in the future and it good to have you on board to help with this project.
    Thanks again gasmasher for the offer
    Mark