1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Cone of Silence

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by meistertek, Jan 7, 2009.

1. meistertek

meistertek Member

Hey guys,

I probably went a little overboard to get silence, but I have designed and started building an insulated sound cover to trap cutting noise, even at the low dremel setting. I am hoping to get so little sound I can run the PhlatPrinter at night in my apartment and not bother my neighbors.

The enclosure is called the "Cone of Silence" and takes 12 sheets of foam to make, I hope it frackin works!

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Looks good.
    Hope it works!

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Wow, that's the spirit! I would love to see alot more foam add-ons for the PP. Maybe we need a new forum section for add-on parts made with the PP?

I just put in an order to Hobby City for some brushless motors and electronics. It won't be soon; but in the far off future, I might have a brushless motor mod to share?

I seem to remember 2 post, after my last one, that are not longer there. Must have been deleted when they had the forum problems yesterday.

-Kwok

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

WOW meistertek! that is really cool!.. nice job I can't wait to see/hear the results!
    cool idea
    One thing I thing I would like to ask is if you would put this in it's own topic under this smae thread of Phlatprinter mods when you get a chance. I think more people would be able to find it. Or if you going to sell this code. Could you post it under the Showcase section. if you are going to share with everyone, when the code is complete could you please post it under the free plans section in the Machines thread.Thanks man
    MnT

Yes that is what happened, sorry about that you guys It was a mod being added for a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor in the advanced post section and it was bugged. When I went back to get rid of it it took some of the post with it. Sorry once again.
    Mark

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hay meistertek,

If you missed it, the missing post was from "dbtoutfit" answering one of your questions. He said he's working on "pwm" something to control the dremel rpm from mach 3. It wasn't very clear what he was talking about.

-Kwok

6. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

That looks cool. I like the way U did the windows. I bet that will cut down most of the noise. :D

E-T

7. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

kyyu,

A PWM is "Pulse Width Modulation".

It's a controller board that will allow you from the Mach console to control your spinde/router/dremel for on/off, speed/rpms as well as spindle CW and CCW rotation. With this Module you can even tap threads (though tapping not really useful with the PP).
    It works for DC and AC motors. (Unique)

Even at low RPM's you keep the motor torque.

You could set your spindle speed to ramp up on the passes where your feeds and rapid rates are the fastest and slow back down where they are the slowest.

Eric

8. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

meistertek, how much space are you leaving around the foam and the cabinet? This reminds me of those old dog boxes they used to put impact printers in. They did a GREAT job of keeping the noise level down, but they had about 2" of that soft acoustic foam lining the box.

9. meistertek

meistertek Member

rcav8r, There is about 2.5" of clearance around all sides except near the control board there is only 1". I guess that may be good since I could add the foam inside there. I remember seeing a few of those dot matrix printer enclosures too, ;) I guess we are both old enough to remember them! I am hoping that not too much sound will go through the slots where the foam goes. When looking around for a solution to deaden sound there seemed to be two camps, one was to make a very dense enclosure, which would be very heavy. The other camp was to make the sound go through so many turns and obstructions that it looses all its energy. I went with the obstruction route since I could use foam for the outside.

10. meistertek

meistertek Member

Eric, This sounds awesome! It would be a lot easier to just add this circuit to the existing dremel than to switch out to another spindle like a proxxon or custom brushless motor setup.

11. meistertek

meistertek Member

Ok guys, here are some more details on the Cone of Silence design.
    Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

The PWM works with any dremel/router/spindle. Anything thats a motor and runs on DC or AC power.

Eric

13. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Very Cool!
    Hopefully the cone of silence works better for you then for Max!
    It does look promising, 12 sheets is a big ouch, but if it works, my wife might MAKE me make one too. :|

14. meistertek

meistertek Member

Well I just completed the Cone of Silence build, and ran some cuts on the PhlatPrinter. The Cone of Silence makes a huge difference! My wife was asleep in the next room, she is about 25 feet away from the PhlatPrinter and there is a short 5ft hallway between the two rooms. She did not wake up when I started cutting! This is with the doors to both rooms open!

With the doors closed to the room you can only hear the louder buzzing cuts, like when a small piece in a text cut falls out onto the cutting bit. Also the dremel can be heard a little when it is in the middle of the y axis and is buzzing on the rods. There is almost no chance of my apartment neighbors hearing anything.

I think if I add some covers over the front and back holes on the PhlatPrinter itself, it's going to be even quieter. My RC club has a Db meter, maybe I can borrow it and post some numbers.

Let me know if you are interested in the PhlatCode for this project.

Here are some photos of the build:

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Impressive.
    Great work man!
    I'm sure alot of peole here would be interested in the code.

16. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Great idea and implementation of it. Very well done, man.

Yoram

17. kram242

Nice work!
    Oh yeah bring it on! This is a really cool project and very well done. Thank you for your post.
    When you add the files here I will also add them under the free plans section under the machines section(because the lid) :) and that is also where I have the PP tables.
    Thanks again for this cool mod/project.
    MnT

18. meistertek

meistertek Member

Thanks for the compliments and feedback guys! I am currently making some tweaks to the design to fix some minor problems and will generate new PhlatCode files soon and post them.

19. kram242

Sonds good meistertek were you able to get that Db meter and give it a test?
    Thanks
    Mark

20. meistertek

meistertek Member

Just in case someone would like to make this cover for their PhaltPrinter I thought I would post the files I used to make mine. I was planning on refining the design before doing this, but thought what the heck, just post these!

PhaltCode (CNC) files:
    DXF files:
    e-Drawings e-Assembly file:
    Free e-Drawings viewer software for above file: http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/

The e-Assembly file is nice because by using the "Explode" icon, hiding or making parts transparent you can see how the Cone of Silence goes together.

Just a few things that may help the build:

1. The 2x4 stand is needed to get the PhlatPrinter to the correct height for the cone of silence slot openings. I added this 2x4 stand to my PhaltPrinter because it sits on a carpeted floor and the y axis will get stuck on the carpet, the stand lifts it up to prevent this from happening. Running on the carpet damps quite a bit of sound alone.

2. The Cone of Silence top touched the top of my PhaltPrinter so I added one layer of foam shims to the top cover on the bottom surfaces.

3. I also added "Fashion Fur" :lol: to the bottom surfaces of the top cover to get a nice seal on the bottom cover. Attached files cone of silence dxf.zip (122.2 KB)Â cone of silence easm.zip (619.9 KB)Â cone of silence phlatcode.zip (46.4 KB)Â

21. meistertek

meistertek Member

Here are some shots of the "Fashion Fur" I bought at Jo-Ann Fabric to seal the gap between the top and bottom covers of the Cone of Silence. Only 12" of the fashion fur was needed.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Wow! nice work! Me, I prefer to wake my neighbors. Darn barking dogs and kids with loud mufflers! Wish I could add an air horn as well....

Here is my cone of silence. Thought you might get a laugh..... Attached files [​IMG]

23. meistertek

meistertek Member

Darn! Your Cone of Silence would have taken a lot less foam to make! :lol:

24. Edge5foamy

Edge5foamy New Member

Awsome, we need video!How quiet does it actually make it?

25. meistertek

meistertek Member

I would like to run a dB meter to get exact numbers. But I can tell you it is so quiet now that I can run the PhlatPrinter with dremel at half speed without waking my wife up in the next room over, with the doors open between rooms. You may want to try just covering all the openings on your PhlatPrinter with foam pieces lined with carpet or fashion fur first, I bet this would help a lot too and not require a ton of foam sheets like the Cone of Silence did. But if you want a really quiet set up the Cone of Silence works pretty well in my opinion.

I'll have to try a before and after video to see if it picks up the sound difference, I'll post it when I have two of the same things to cut out.