1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

control surface bevel cuts....

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by rjarois, May 8, 2009.

1. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

was kickin back the other day watchin mark workin on a little carnard pusher jet.....i perked up when he was talkin about using step cuts for the control surfaces using the centerline. the 3 centerline at 75% 50% and 25% works awesome with .062in spacings with the 1/8dia tool. i mean to say mark that this is the whip....got to give ya a big THANK YOU mark!!! this is so sweet that i dont gotta cut them bevels. plus the control surface is aligned perfectly.....lovin the phlatprinter more and more.....the model is a 33in span, and took 6mins to cut @200ipm feeds on all axis... also i got some pink owens fanfold at home depot.....the stuff is flat and real nice. if you yank the plastic off the one side the weight aint to bad also. thanks again mark. peace, randy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I do mine 90,60,30 percent at 1/16th spacing. Works like a charm

3. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I like to do 4 lines 20,40,60,80 with 1/16 spaceing for both bitts 1/16 and 1/8.
    Tape one side and fold it all the way over and a quick sand to knock the edges off A little tape while it's folded over. DONE

Randy I have found that the pink foam used for a wing and blue used for the fuse is a great combo. For some reason the pink will cut throught the wind a bit better.

Cheers

E-T

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Cool Randy! your more than welcome. you know that on that X-41 I did a rounded edge test for all leading edges and it came out great, all you do is hit the steps with a little sand paper and you have a perfect rounded leading edge :D.
    I bet if you took your time and set up the cut right you could really make a smooth leading edge with the same technique and you would not even have to sand at all.
    Cool looking design you have there have you posted it yet?
    Mark

5. rjarois

mark, im still tweaking the model....adding counter ballances to the ailerons, etc...im tweaking real good, as the fella at the local hobby shop is real interested in the final model. also if i can scrape up some money for some 6mm depron after i get all worked out. randy.

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

E-T, how did you set it up to cut 20,40,60 and 80? Did you change a ruby file?

Update:
    I figuered it out. I changed the constants.rb file and it works. I'll see if it also will cut it out correctly.

7. Evil-Tunes

No you can type in the box any amount that you would like. To go all the way through you can go 110% I also like the 50% for the carbon fiber that I use.
    You dont need the 20% with the FFF Blue because of the Wave in the foam But I do anyway "Force of Habbit"

Cheers
    E-T

8. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

9. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I didn't know that the dialog box would pop up like that by right clicking it :)

The lower right hand corner also shows the depth percent. After selecting the centerline or the fold tool, just type the number you want the depth percent to be and it will change in that box.

10. TigerPilot

I thought that that is the way to do it initially but I can't overwrite it. It is not a changeable field in my case. I can change measurements when drawing a line, for example, but not the depth factor in the PhlatScript.

11. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

I just checked the code and I don't think the VCB (value control box) in the bottom right is enabled for the Centerline tool. I don't see a quick and easy way to enable due to the code structure but it might be something to look into.

12. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

It overwrites if you use the numbers above the letters on the keyboard. If you use the numbers on the keypad it doesn't work...interesting.

13. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Interesting. I think you found a bug in Sketchup. Based on the the documentation if that value box isn't enabled for a tool it won't fire the events needed to store the value.

14. Evil-Tunes

Yea that might be a bug in the PhlatScript not being able to use the side #. I don't like to use the centerline tool. Try using the fold tool.
    Heres a little Tut That I made.

Cheers

E-T

15. rjarois

cool nice glen.....very clear even to a monkey like myself.....the use of the center line tool takes longer to draw as like you said ya gotta stay off the edges...nice job bud...i will try next time i draw up somptin. randy.

16. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Nice to the point tutorial.

I wonder if SU 7 added a new function that needs to be handled in order to enable the VCB.

17. Evil-Tunes

18. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Sorry, sometimes I use the acronyms without explaining them but I think we are talking about the same thing. In Sketchup the number entry box in the bottom right hand corner that lets you enter measurements is called the Value Control Box (VCB).

We are probably on the same page at this point but the VCB displays what you enter when a tool accepts user input. One example is the tape measure. If you select it and then click somewhere in the model you can type in a value like 1/8 and the construction line will be 1/8th. Anything you type on the number pad after activating a tool should be displayed in the VCB.

19. TigerPilot

E-T, I think you make it a bit complicated with the 'construction line'. I mark the hinge line and then I copy it 1/16th and then I input *3 and I have four lines 1/16th apart.

20. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Great tutorial, thanks Glen
    Mark

21. Evil-Tunes

Yea, I allways forget about the * Muiltpler. Thats how I learned with the contruction lines.

Taught my self SU by just working with it. When I first started using SU there wasn't even a centerline tool. Every thing was done with the Fold tool. Hard to break old habits I guess :D

Cheers

E-T