1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Controller board

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by KX-5, Apr 30, 2010.

1. KX-5

KX-5 Member

My original Easy CNC controller driver board has smoked and I need a replacement. By now I'm sure a few different controllers have been tried. What boards do you recommend? What board does the MKII use? Thanks

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Both the MKs use the same controller board. Sorry, I don't know enough to give any recommendations.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

The controller chips on the EasyCNC board are easily replaceable, as are the rest of the chips. Is that what smoked?

4. KX-5

KX-5 Member

The Y axis chip keeps blowing. I've already put 3 in. I've switched the Y stepper to another axis and it works fine. There appears to be something else defective besides the main Y axis chip. Is there a way to determine other bad parts?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Have you put an Ohmmeter to the outputs, to take readings? Maybe the voltage (VRef) chip has a poor connection, or maybe it got changed somehow.

6. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

intermittent connection to the stepper can do that (loose wire or bad solder joint)

7. KX-5

KX-5 Member

The sympton it has now is this: When the Y axis chip is in, and you apply power, it barely lights up the LEDs for an instant, then nothing on all axis. You take the chip out, and the other 2 axis work normally. I have checked all connections and seem to be tight. Are the other 3 chips available thru digikey as well?
    At the moment, Digikey has zero drivers available. I've checked all 3 suggested numbers. (620-1076-ND 620-1078-ND, 620-1146-2-ND) Are there any other sources?

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

KX-5 I have some of the drive chips in stock here at the PhlatLAB :) If you shoot me an email stating that you would like to get them as a reminder for me, I will send them out to you. The other alternative is to send the board back to easy cnc and see what they can do to fix it. The dim light problem is something that I have not heard of before so I am not sure its the driver chip at all. Sounds more like a power issue on the board
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

9. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Thanks Mark, email sent.

10. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like the Y-axis chip is shorting out when it is in place. I don't know if the short is in the chip or in the socket/board and happens when the chip is plugged in.

11. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Unhook all wires except the power source and see if lights dim. If so, insert chips one at a time and test.

If board seems OK start hooking up steppers one at a time until prob is found.

Bad wire drove me crazy for a long time. Even tho it checked good on the meter I finally replaced my wires connecting my steppers to the controller and problem solved. That was prob a year ago or longer.

Oh yea, I have tried a few different controllers and returned to the ez-cnc boards. They are easy to setup, no additional resistors to solder in like some of the more expensive boards and parts are readily available should you need them.

I did, at one point, return one of my controllers to ez cnc for repair, again it was the bad wire causing the problem, but while they had it they replaced all controller chips and replaced the terminal strip where your stepper wires connect and their turn-around time was fast. Very nice guy, Hector is.

12. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Thanks for all the input relating to this problem. The Y axis present condition is consistent. Even with no stepper attached, as soon as you apply power, it kills the chip. I've seen puffs of smoke and I think even a small spark. It appears a short has developed in the chip socket or board. The X and Z axis are OK. I have also attached the Y stepper to another axis and it works normally. It looks like to me that the board needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if this could be repaired or not. Any ideas on this? I see that Mark sells a driver kit. Does he sell just the board?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Just contact Easy-CNC http://www.easy-cnc.com/index.html and see what they can suggest. Maybe they know the problem by your description and can point you to the magic thing to fix. :)

14. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

LaVerne, We are sending you an email now :)
    Mark and Trish