1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Cool Quad Copter

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by rcav8r, May 7, 2012.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

OK, this may be old hat to some of you, but this is the first time I have seen anything like this. My buddy showed up at the field with one yesterday. Boy was it slick. He used an iPad to control it. VERY controllable. Can either use virtual joy sticks, or tilting the iPad. The video out of the thing was OUTSTANDING. He was hovering it, and I tried to push it away, but kept fighting me, and as soon as I let go, it would go back to exactly where it was.....
    Also if the battery runs down, it will tell you on the screen... and if you ignore it, it comes home and lands at your feet.
    He's not the most tech savy so as soon as he figures out how to post videos that it took; I'll post a link.
    Quad Copters never really interested me, but this one does.

Here's the gizmo: http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa/

Video from the V1 of the gizmo... (With an external camera I believe.) gives you an idea of how stable it is. V2 has an HD camera.
    http://ardrone.parrot.com/best-of-user- ... -de-paris/

2. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Very slick indeed. I will have to start making my Christmas list :D

Tweakie.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I have the version 1 of the drone but I could not get the hang of the flying. The v2 looks like it may fly much better. Its a cool concept but for me the whole time I was flying with the Ipad I was jonsing for my spectrum controller. It would be cool if we could bind :)
    Mark and Trish

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

From what my buddy says the V2 is a whole lot better than the V1 is many ways. It has multiple flight modes. He had it on the very basic one, and it almost flew itself. He was afraid to move to the next level. He did have it doing flips...just double tap the "joystick". If it was too low to do a flip, it would jump up, do the flip, and come back down.
    What really impressed me was the video. He was flying it outside. It was a BRIGHT sunny day. He then flew it into the shelter where it was a whole lot darker. The video adjusted right away, and was as clear inside as it was outside.

I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon as I don't have an iPad or Android tablet, and I think my little 4.3" Android phone screen would be a bit small.
    Neat stuff though

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Wow sounds like the V2 is WAY better at control and flips! unreal.. man now you make me want the V2!
    Cool stuff indeed thanks Dave
    Mark and Trish