1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

CPU and Monitor Installation

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter 3 MODS' started by Flashsolutions, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Here are some pics of my new CPU which is powering my Planet-CNC board.

It is a 6"x6"x.8" deep full blown 1.6 Ghz Lenovo Q150 micro computer running Windows XP with 160GB disk drive and 1 GB of DDR2 ram.

It has a wireless N class network card built in and I purchased a wireless keyboard and mouse to go with it.

It supports 4 USB 2.0 ports which is just perfect, one for keyboard, one for the mouse, one for the keypad, and one for the USB controller.

My 19" Samsung Monitor is mounted on a swivel mount attached to the side of the Phlatprinter and swings out for operation and back alongside the cabinet when not in use.

The power switch is a button in the upper right corner of the computer which is easily accessible thru the drop down panel of the cabinet.

The computer came with a mounting bracket that attached to the inside of the cabinet perfectly. I drilled an access hole in the back plate of the cabinet to bring in the VGA cable and a half inch hole in the bottom to access the mounting screw which holds the computer to the mounting bracket that came with it. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Now that is really slick. :D

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I have to say Larry you have done an super nice job on your build, this looks fantastic!
    Thank you for sharing.
    BTW If you have a nice over all view pic that you would like to use for the header pic of the Phlatforum please post in the Show off your Phlatprinter 3 section so that I can start getting them together Thanks
    Mark and Trish

4. Flashsolutions

Well, I intend to do that, but I am not finished with the painting yet. I still have work to do on the front panel so I have been releasing pics as I go. Once it is all finished, I will do that.

The plan was to have a self contained unit that could be taken on the road somewhat easily. As it turned out, this machine was quite a bit bigger than I had imagined, so making it portable may not be all that great an idea.

I had an idea in mind that I would like to be able to transport the phlatprinter with me once a week to our indoor club facilities for a winter build project.

I am not sure this is going to become a reality or not. The Phlatprinter is a pretty hefty piece of machinery as compared to the MK1.

Now if I could just attach a set of wheels and a handle.......

5. filthybeast

filthybeast New Member

Portable or not, I really love the idea, nice work! Mind telling where u got the micro pc? I found one simular for about $200

6. Flashsolutions

I got the PC from http://TigerDirect.com. But as I said, it was an open boxed computer and they only had one in stock at that price. It is a Lenovo Q150.

I just did a Google search and found it elsewhere for around $220 (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&expIds=17259,27213,27585,27816,27868,28066&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=lenovo+q150&cp=0&qe=TGVub3ZvIFExNTA&qesig=qFbYFZe4cca8HbMF6NbaWg&pkc=AFgZ2tnjWdQWtJiukXFDsvJ6BaySQZE419geNb7xh5Q22bgh6LacuzDsK6Z9zJBcn4fms9q0_yEOnyRHAKq5OQGz7nCw06jc-w&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15158759358728695715&ei=49D_TIX9BML38Aay5dHfBw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q8wIwAg#)

7. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I love how small that pc is. It fits great in there. I'm still liking the idea of using a laptop or netbook. I haven't fully decided what I'm gonna do.

8. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Flashsolutions, man i just ran across this post....great idea man!!!! that will be nice to take to your club meetings. very good use of the space. monkeys like me just scratched ther head wondering what was that hatch on the other side for, lols. great work. randy.

9. Flashsolutions

Hey guys, I would like to sell my Lenovo Q150 CPU if anyone is interested in buying it.

I went back to a parallel port system to drive my Phlatprinter so that I could use Mach3 and this one is just gathering dust in the closet.

PM if interested.