1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Curtiss P40E, tvcasualty style

Discussion in 'WarBirds' started by tvcasualty, Apr 14, 2009.

1. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Wow, that's what I get for sitting on this lol!
    I've actually got one already modeled, I will upload it tonight (or tomorrow afternoon rather) so you can compare the models, maybe we can share the parts, I've been dragging my feet on building this one for some time now. :D My other planes are lasting too long, and I've had too many other tempting projects!

BTW, I think this looks GREAT so far, I did not model the wing flaring like you've done here. But it looks like it will all unfold nicely, which says a lot about YOUR modeling ability. Also here is another tip you may want to attempt... On that wing, grab the tip (select everything you want to spin) and use the rotate tool and spin the tip downwards at least 3 degrees to get some washout. If all goes well when assembled accurately you will maintain the washout.

So what scale man? This is getting me want to make more progress on mine (I just started laying out he parts in SU).

2. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

I haven't decided on the scale yet, but since most of my batteries are 2200mAh I want something that can carry about 300-350gram power system (200gram battery + 70gram motor + servos, RX and others) so a WS of about 1meters I think will be sufficient.

Thanks for the tips man, I really have learned alot studying your designs!

I'm going to work more on the plans tonight, and yes of course, it would be great to compare/share drawings. I will upload mine here when I have tweaked them some more. I haven't considered the thickness of the skin yet.

TV, are you using 1/4" foam for the skin also? I'm thinking mabye to use 3mm depron, but I don't know if that will be to weak.

/Jan

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Y'know, I've never really been into warbirds, but you guys ( janbjorn and tvcasualty ) are adding SOOOOooooo much temptation, I may have to change my ways. :cool:

4. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Well, you and me both then, dorsal. The P40 is the only warbird I like enough to go to the troubles of building one. I have actually had a profile version of the P40 that I learned flying 3D manouvres on (RCGroups link)
    Just hang around for a while and there is going to be a simple way to cure your lack of warbirds ;)

/Jan

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

janbjorn, That is looking great, man you guys are really kicking butt in Sketchup now! :)
    really nice work looking forward to this one
    Mark

6. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Here is my model! Gonna have to get creative on that wing when I go to assemble, you'll see once you get it opened up...

Attached files P40.skp (16.5 MB)Â [​IMG]

7. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Yeah, that wing will be interesting to assemble. Mabye glue it together and put a strip of tape on the LE to get a nice fold...

I made some progress yesterday, but I need to rework the wing (for easier unfolding) and perhaps clean up the fuselage formers as well. My model is scaled to 1 meter wingspan as it is now. Hoping to get the wing to fit one sheet of depron.

Question: TV, how do you put your logo so it's always visible in the SU model?

/Jan Attached files P40N warhawk.skp (553.9 KB)Â [​IMG]

8. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

janbjorn, it actually floats about 0.10 (or something like that) above the surface.

That model really looks great, did you do your wing tips the same way as I did mine?

9. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Do you mean with the 3 degree twist? That I did. However, I totally reworked the wing today to make it easier to unfold. The smooth surfaces that looks nice was complete nightmare to unfold so I started from scratch again. Also finished the formers for the wing. Next step will be to clean up the fuselage and start making real formers for that.

Regardin the logo, I meant the one that is always visible in the top left corner in SketchUP in your .skp file. Attached files [​IMG]

10. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Yeah, that's some option in the styles menu... not looking at it right now, but it's not hard to figure out. Good luck on the unfold! Let me know if you have any issues, should go pretty smooth.

11. kram242

janbjorn, Go to window /Styles and you will find this window
    Click on the watermark tab and add your picture the way you want it

[​IMG]
    Hope this helps
    Mark Attached files [​IMG]

12. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Thanks Mark, that worked great!

/Jan

13. kram242

No problem, I had a time trying to figure that one out as well until I finally asked someone who had already done it :)
    Mark

14. RogueTitan

RogueTitan New Member

WOW!
    Really Nice Work there

I would really like to see this model in a tiled PDF Format for a 50" WS for us guys still using the Armstrong Xacto method :mrgreen:

15. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

janbjorn, did you ever make any progress on this one? I still NEED a P40! :)

16. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

17. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

TV, you are my foam idol.... seriously. I want to imitate your build and design style but haven't really taken the plunge from profiles or box fuses. I admired guys like hawianspork and mechrick, both Orlando RCers who were gifted with scale and foam as I'm sure you know. You've taken it to the phlat level and that is where I want to go as well.

Inspiring work!

18. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

It is easier to do than you may think! You should grab one of the WWI biplanes I have done and try printing one out, it will only cost ~2 sheets of foam, and you don't need to commit electrics to it, just try building one up. Or better yet, join the corsiar workshop over at RCG:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142716

19. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

That's a great looking bird TV. Unfortunately I have a short attention span sometimes and my entusiasm for the P40 faded. I will make it some day, but I have recently bought a RC monstertruck :oops: that takes the most of my limited hobby time...

Anyway I will definitely follow your build.

20. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

HAd to post these here for the folks who don't get out much (ahem cough mark ahummm)

(My P40 with some styro spray applied) Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. kram242

ERIK! That turned out AWESOME.. !!!
    There is no doubt about it you have gone pro!
    That SS looks great on there and blends everything nicely together.
    What kind of weight gain did you get with add that?
    Beautiful looking Erik, thanks for sharing it.
    Mark

22. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

WOHHHHHH!!!! That is just awesome!! Spectacular!!
    Very Nice!!

I've no doubt that this will fly as well as the rest of your designs.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)