1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Cute little Gorilla

Discussion in 'Puzzles' started by 66tbird, Dec 12, 2008.

1. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Tabbed at 1/4 inch.

I printed one and gave it away. I can only assume it went together fine. The finished project looked good, but the dad was a great old school modeler and what may be a non issue to him may not to others. If yours has a problem let me know, I will fix the code :D Attached files [​IMG] Gorilla.zip (1.4 MB)Â

2. Stelio

Stelio New Member

It came out pretty good, about 21in tall!

The Gorilla cnc file is as big as the two Eiffel tower files combined, but it cuts in about 40 min compared to the 1 hour 20 min for each of the two sheets of the tower. I suspect the size of the Gorilla file is due to all the curves. On the other hand the Eiffel tower is practically all straight lines but there is a lot of Z axis travel. Both projects were quite an exercise for the pp .

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. 66tbird

Great, glad to see and read all is well with the code. It was mentioned in another thread to narrow the tab a little for a better friction fit. What is your opinion Stelio, shall I tighten the gap on the next critters? It looks like it.

4. Stelio

Stelio New Member

Well yes, some slots are wider that others mostly in the limbs whereas the ribs fit snug on the backbone.
    My first guess was the orientation of the slots, ie being cut along the x or y axis or diagonal to x-y. In other words was the problem with the pp ? I was leaning towards that conclusion after checking the distances in the slots (see first picture)

But all that guessing changed when I finally watched the ps video and noted Mark's mention that Sketchup is not that precise in fractional mode. Even though you have chosen 1/64 precision for the model it is not enough. As seen in the second picture when switching to decimal mode there is a noticeable difference on the slot widths.

So my conclusion is that the pp is cleared of any wrongdoing and the blame goes to Sketchup.

Aside from that there is another aspect that contributes to loose slots. There is an assumption that the blue foam (Blucore or PBIII) we are using is 1/4". I measured both and the Blucore comes in at approximately .23" and the PBIII even less at approximately .18-.19".

My 2c

Stelio

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

This is where the problem is.
    I posted sometime back in RCflightcast forum about the thickness issue.
    If we did our designs using 6mm versus 1/4" for the tab and slots the fit would be a lot better.
    Also when I design in Sketchup I use the decimal feature. This makes it so you can toggle back and forth easily between mm and inches and the accuracy is eaxct. I have a cool plugin I found that is a toolbar that lets you toggle back and forth from inches to mm's just by pressing a button.
    That gorrila sure is cool looking though.

6. 66tbird

I'm finding the same and now work only in decimal. I noted the changes needed for the critters I've posted and will fix them,,,, sometime :)

7. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

I have a question for you, If i rescaled the whole model to use 3mm foam would the thing come out half the size? I want to do this in white 3mm for Holloween at work !

Thanks

8. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Sure ewo, just use the tape measure tool and measure one of the slots and type in 3mm and hit enter. It should ask if you want to re-size the whole model. Hit yes and it will scale everything down in proportion.

9. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

If you resize it from 6mm to 3mm keeping the proportions, you'll get it at an eighth of the original size. 1/2 the width x 1/2 the length x 1/2 the hight.

10. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Yoram, I think that if you resize from 6mm to 3mm then the model will be half of the original size, but use a quarter of the foam used in the original (1/2 size, quarter area).

I did this with one of my models that i'd originally cut from 6mm foam with a 1/8" bit. I resized the model from a 32" wingspan to a 16" wingspan in SU (including the phlatscript toolpaths) and then cut the file from 3mm foam with a 1/16" bit. I ended up with a model half the wingspan of the original, but with quarter of the wing area. This worked well for me and was really quick to do. The important part was to use the smaller cutting bit, otherwise the slots and tabs wouldn't have lined up.

Si.

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Si, that's very good insight about 1/2 the tools size. That's just one of those things you would never think of.

-Kwok

12. ewo

Because the original zip link is broaken im uploading what i had saved here until 66 can fix his post

Attached Files:

13. ewo

I always wanted to do the Monkey for 3mm Depron , But way back then converting the file was a pain in the BUTTOX
    But with the new SketchUcam It wasnt too bad
    so i just made the conversion and here are the results .
    any interest in this new little Gorilla and i will gladly post the files , i will cut this out later this week when i cut my Christian Eagle :)

Attached Files:

14. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I forgot about this one, Bruce. Thanks for the update!

15. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Cool Bruce