1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Cutting too deep.

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by taylex, Feb 28, 2011.

1. taylex

taylex New Member

Hi,

Not long had out over head gantry cnc installed and i'm hoping to use your plug into to create out oval ribs we cut out of 15mm mdf.

The problem i am having is: I set the material to 15mm and a multipass of 7.5 but i'm getting 3 passes with the 3rd cutting around 5mm into my bed below. Is it something i am doing wrong??

cheers
    karl

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Set your parameters that the red arrow shows to %100, %140 is for that original MKI, MKII that the bit comes up from the bottom causing it to cut %140 further than the script calls for

Attached files [​IMG]

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Hi Karl, and welcome to the forum.

Within the setup of the Phlat Scrpt, check for Overcut (or something like that). I forget what it is called as I don't have this installed where I am now. Basically it is there to make up the difference in wavy material. It is usually set to 120% (I think) so if your material is 15MM it will actually go past it 3mm, or 18mm. You'll want to set this to 100% to make it travel 15mm.

I use this to my advantage so I make sure it makes it the whole way through, and still allows me to set the Z home high enough so it doesn't scrape the material when jogging. But I'm running a PP so a cut too deep really isn't a problem. :)

4. taylex

taylex New Member

Cheers for the promt replys.

Thats sorted now thankyou.

next problem; as i have been testing i have been drawing a square, as i now have many many squares i thought i'd try a triangle however it outputs as a circle, well actually more of an egg.

any thoughts??

ps liking the plus thus far.

5. rcav8r

Dang cross-post.
    Not sure I've see what your describing. Can you post a screen shot of the SU screen, and a screen shot the CNC output?

6. taylex

taylex New Member

7. taylex

taylex New Member

8. rcav8r

Hard to see from the pics, but I don't see "cut styles" (for lack of a better term) defined. That is Inside, or outside cuts. Did you apply those to the tri-angle?
    Just select the tool from the PhlatScript toolbar, and click on the closed shape (face) in SU. Also hard to tell, but is the Triangle a face in SU? It has to be for the script to work.

Not sure how you got anything at all, let alone all those shapes.

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Don't use polygons, as circles and polygons are ArcCurve as far as Sketchup is concerned. You can either explode the polygon into edges or weld it into a curve. Regular curves are ok, and won't be mistaken for a circle.

-Kwok