1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Drawing airfoils

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by iflyos, May 29, 2009.

1. iflyos

iflyos Member

Ok..maybe I am a dummy, but I cannot figure this out for the life of me.

Years ago, when I had GenericCadd where I used to work, I drew up some simple planes. The airfoils were flat bottom, and I used the arc tool to do the 'foil on the top. I seem to recall being able to grab the arc at any point, and stretch it to the shape I wanted.

With Sketchup, all I can do is choose the endpoints, and stretch the midpoint of the arc...am I missing something?

Any pointers would be appreciated!!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Tim, i am not good at all in sketckup, but i do find a way to manage to draw what i need...the easiest way for me is to go to the airfoil page. http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_database.html save the foil i want by clickin on the gif of it, then right click and save picture as a bitmap file. then import it into sketchup, make it super big, then just trace it with a series of lines. its simple, and it works for me. when your done just scale to suit your needs. randy.

3. iflyos

iflyos Member

Thanks, Randy! That will at least get me going on the plane I am working on! I appreciate it!

Tim
    AG4RZ

4. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

There are a few RB plugin files out there for different arc's I have one but not here I will have to look when I get home from work.

Ok I found it. It's called "Bezier Splines" and here is a good page on it http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2 ... tchup.html

Hope that is what your looking for. I have only used it a few times.

Cheers
    E-T

5. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Bezier spline toolbar

Complete set of polylines and splines curves commands: create, modify, convert. Cubic Bezier spline curve2, Uniform B-Spline, Polylines, modification of precision, add/delete control points, support of loop closing, conversion of any curve to spline curves

Been the best tool yet for me and curves.
    http://xoomer.virgilio.it/kites/programmi/grafica/sketcplugins.html

edit, I just read the thread again and totally missed the above post the first time :oops: