1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Driver Chip for Easy-cnc Board

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by theothers, Feb 26, 2009.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Need a new driver chip for your Easy-CNC driver card?
    Go here http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 20-1078-ND
    Go here for the Hi-Temp version of this same chip http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=620-1076-ND
    Both chips are reported to work fine. The Hi-Temp version cost a little more but may be your choice for a driver chip as these chips do heat up. If you have more question about the Hi-Temp version ask around the forum some of the guys here are using them and can let you know how they like them.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    This is what http://www.easy-cnc.com has to say about it

Its very possible that the problem is a bad main chip A3977 (located under the heat sink)
    The chip driver A3977 is a too sensitive component to short circuits or not strong stepper motor wire connections to board.
    The fuse on board only avoid that the tracks in printed circuit will not be fired and repair is possible.
    You can get the replacement part from Digikey, http://www.digikey.com

Digikey Part Number: 620-1078-ND
    Digikey Part Number: 620-1076-ND Hi-Temp version

So make sure you have good tight connections or you will get a short and NEVER take the motor wires off without shutting down the power first, that gos with any driver board.
    http://www.easy-cnc.com/products.html

2. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Just a note for the guys on my side of the pond..... These are also available via Digikey in the UK and Europe.
    http://dkc1.digikey.com/uk/en/digihome.html

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

3. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Nice information. Thanks for sharing. In the past, we have shipped this chip overseas. Now we know that's not necessary. It saves everyone shipping costs in the long run.

Mark and Trish

4. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

The chip now shows as "non-stock"....has anyone tried to order it anyway? Have you tried the recommended replacement?

Again....frick..... Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

6. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

7. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Thanks guys....I'll try the "recommended replacement" chip as well.

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I have one I can send you if you don't mind it being used :)
    Send me a PM of where you want to send it and we can send it Tues. would be tomorrow but unfortunately the post office is close tomorrow (Columbus day)
    Mark

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

10. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I have been using the ones Dorsal mentioned, recommended by Frank for some time now with no problems. Before I blew out 2 stock chips.

11. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I'm still doing a root cause analyis.....scratching my head at this point....

12. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

If you have the money to spend on it, I recommend tossing the easy-cnc board and replacing it with a Gecko G540.

The easy-cnc board was forever causing problems for me. The chips would loosen up and I would start missing steps, or it would blow a chip for no apparent reason.

After switching to the Gecko controller, my machine has been rock solid, no more missed steps and no more failures. It even has protection for idle current hold to prevent the steppers from getting hot when not actually doing cuts.

I use my phlatprinter a lot! It gets a workout every week, but it performs better today than ever.

13. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

How was the integration with Mach3 and the Gecko? What PS are you using? Can you use a relay board with the Gecko drive? I like to turn on and off the spindle with the code rather than a manual switch.

14. Flashsolutions

Integration with Mach3 was simple... they provide the XML file and only requires a couple changes to motor tuning and you're good to go.

I am using the power supply from mpja, a 10 amp $24 supply as I recall.

Spindle control is easy to setup. That is how I have mine. I can send you my XML file if you go that route.

And to use the easy-cnc relay board, we simply remove two ic chips and solder in two jumpers in their place. The Gecko is opto isolated so we can drive it direct from the controller. That is why we remove the onboard opto isolator.

I built a housing from MDF to put the power supply, controller, fans, switches, smooth stepper, etc. John B cut them out on his table top CNC.

I am sure we could get him to cut one for you. If Mark had his big un right now, he could do it, but you might have to wait a bit for the new phlatboyz HQ to be built for that.

15. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Cool.....I've got a few things sold so I'll have enought for the Gecko controller. Once I get it I'll contact you for help setting it up if that's OK with you.

16. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I'm going to fix my current controller with Mark's help....I've got plans for the Gecko (the deal I'm getting comes with a 48V PS, and 3 628 in/oz steppers). :)

17. Flashsolutions

628 in/oz steppers! ohhhhh boy, I think that is a bit overkill for this application.

I have a couple of 282's and a 166 for the Z but I can't imagine needing more than that unless you are simply getting a heck of a good deal and want to use them just cause you have them.

18. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I'm going to build a much larger overhead gantry style CNC. It will be capable of working hardwood, ply, plastic, CF plate, and aluminum.

19. Flashsolutions

Ahhhh! Yep, the CNC bug has bitten you and left its mark. It's probably a good thing I don't have room for a bigger one, or else the bug would be biting me as well.

20. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

21. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Anyone know a different source for the chips? Digikey says they are obsolete part numbers now

22. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Jeff,

The link Digi-Key gives for a possible substitute looks like it should be a direct replacement. The package is the same and I found a data sheet for the old chip and the substitute and the pinouts are the same too.

Here is a link for it:
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=620-1144-2-ND

Hope this helps,
    Tim

23. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Eww. This is not good. Anyone else have a different supplier? I've got one spare chip at the moment and if you are really desperate, Jeff, I could loan it to you. I'd need it back for spares as I'd be in deep doo-doo if I fry a chip or need to trouble shoot (like I did recently).

Hopefully you can TOFTT and find a replacement supplier OR find out if the alternate will work. Perhaps email Hector?

TT

24. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

If Digi-Key lists it as a substitute, it will work. If I'm not mistaken, I think Mark and Trish have some replacements for sale..?

25. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Sweet, thanks guys