1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

E-Conversion video

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by rcav8r, Jun 14, 2012.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Here's a video a buddy shot over the weekend of my converted Kougar. Flew it for about 5 years as glow... It sat for about 5- 6 years. I finally converted it last year. Motor mount & canopy mounting cut on the PhlatPrinter.
    I had a Fox .45 on it when it was glow. It is every bit as fast with electric (doplered in the high 90s, GPS at 98MPH) if not faster, but now I have UNLIMITED vertical at less than full throttle. FAST unlimited vertical at full throttle. Glow one NEVER had unlimited vertical.
    Nothing too exciting, but he missed the full length chest high, slow inverted pass, and pull to out of sight vertical on take off after a T&G :-( I still need to find a decent camera man ;-)

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Man that thing is powerful Dave! :good: Nice flying

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

+1 to what Shaun said....

Anywho it did bring this thread to light ;) Yes it is a bit powerful :D A little over 1KW :D I can't see any down side to electrifying this one... It's about 1/4# lighter, every bit as fast in level flight, WAY more vertical, nothing to clean up after a day of flying. I do get about 2 minutes less flight time then when I flew it glow though, but I can live with that.

Funny thing is when it was glow, it would make a woofing sound when it was snapped. One of my favorite things to do. Guys at the field dubbed it the woofing Kougar. I thought the "woof" would be louder since there was no exhaust noise...but there is no woof at all now. Strange...

I may switch props out at some point. I reach about 90% of max speed at a little more than 1/2 throttle. Even in dives I seem to hit terminal velocity at a little more than 1/2 throttle. Not sure which way to go with the prop though as the only thing I will be gaining is vertical, and there is PLENTY of that.

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

If you have plenty of power than maybe a prop that will take less amps will be a good choice since it will give you more flying time?

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks guys, thought he may have been but looking at his other post and there were no links just a couple smilies (post deleted) :)
    Ok now back to the 'woofing Kougar'
    I would guess its in the prop pitch/rpm creating a certain pattern of air that the snap disturbs that your not getting with the electric setup maybe?
    Mark and Trish