1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Ferris Wheel

Discussion in 'General Mechanism's Chat' started by navionflyer, Nov 15, 2010.

1. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

My daughter had to do a book report on "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" and had to do a display to go with the presentation. She decided to make a Ferris Wheel since the character was a Ferris Wheel operator. We talked about it and I told her that we could make it out of blue-cor. So I showed her how to draw it in Sketchup. She drew it all up with some help and I cut it out this weekend. One of the sheets used the tabless method. Anyway, here are some pictures. If anyone wants, I will post the files. There are a couple of things I would change if making another one. The stand needs to be wider between the supports so that the wheel will fit better. The discs that hold the chairs in were added at the end and I forgot to tell her to make it wider. Anyway, she spent quite a bit of time painting and here are the results.

Tim Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

That turned out great!
    She did a really nice job painting it.

3. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Thanks Shaun. She is quite the artist.

4. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Great job on this and the paint looks Awesome!

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice Job guys! She is sure to get an A+ on the report.
    Yes Tim please do post the files. Did the tab-less cutting work for you on this cut?
    Thanks for sharing
    Mark and Trish

6. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Boy that really looks GREAT. I'm sure it was a rewarding project to do with your daughter. I recently did something similar, but far LESS complicated with my daughter. Since I'm missing a PhlatPrinter at the moment, we cut it out by hand.
    My daughter got a 102% on hers, so I'm sure an A++ is in your daughter's future for this one.

7. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Thanks for all the kudos guys. Amelia is really proud of the work she did on this and I will be sure to share your comments with her.

Mark,
    The tabless worked on one sheet and not the other. I cut it on my MKI with a 1/16" bit. After you posted about the tabless cutting I made one of the sheets tabless and cut it out flawlessly. It saves alot of time not only in removing parts from the sheet, but also cutting time since the bit doesn't have to all that z travel for the tabs. The second sheet didn't turn out so well. It was cutting fine and about 10 to 15 minutes into cutting, it started to melt around the bit and I had to stop it. There was a nice ball of blue-cor on the end of the bit so I went back to the tabbed cut for the second sheet since I didn't have the time for experimenting right then. It may have just been a dull bit or the smaller more complicated parts. I don't know. I replaced the 1/16" bit with a fresh one and I am going to try that second sheet again. BTW, I have been posting on the issues I had in the tabless thread. I am definitely not giving up on it but I will continue the conversation there just so anyone interested doesn't have to go searching for the info.

I will go ahead and make the changes to the file and upload it here later this week.

Tim

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Sounds great thank you for the info you have gathered sofar
    Looking forward to the Ferris Wheel :)
    Thanks again
    Mark and Trish