1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

First LiPo Incident

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by rcav8r, Mar 12, 2012.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Well I had my first LiPo mis-hap. Blew the pack right apart...my fault, but no damage done.
    I've been using LiPos since about 2004ish.

This was a partially charged pack from last season. I put it on my Astro charger to top it off. The charger first thought it was a 3cell pack (Which it was), but apparently switched to 4 cell. With this charger you are SUPPOSED to stick around and check to make sure it stays on the number if cells where it is supposed to on a partially charged pack. As this has never been a problem before, and since it was my first time out this year, I kinda forgot. We were all sitting on a bench about 20 foot from the thing, and heard what sounded like a muffled shotgun. We all immediately looked over, and I paid particular attention to my charging packs. No smoke, no flame. Nothing. Curiosity got the better of me so I eventually walked over. That's when I discovered the blown pack. I grabbed it and tossed it in the gravel turn-around. It hissed like mad, and balooned up, but never really got all that hot. After it was done with it's hissey fit, it was back to normal....well except for a hole blown out of the side of it.

Ended up being a blessing in discuise. The pack was about 5 years old and I use it in my Cularis glider, well used to. Climb was pretty decent, about a 35 degree angle, and took about a minute to get to altitude. Well since that pack was no longer usable, I put in a newer pack. It is a bit lighter so the CG is back a bit, and apparently more powerful. Now it climbs out at about a 65 degree angle, and I was at my normal altitude in about 20 seconds. The slightly aft CG also made it react better to lift. WIN, WIN, Loose ( the lose was a blown battery) Apparently it was well past time to replace the pack. Just glad no damage was done. Attached files [​IMG]

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Normally this is not the case. BUT still I NEVER charge my batteries in the house, or even store them in my house. In all the years I have done this, and all the countless packs I have charged this is the first incident I have had. It still makes me cringe when I see someone charger their packs in the back of their cars, or under the hood; even more so now. Actually right after my pack blew up, a flying buddy went and hooked up two 4 cell 5000mah packs up to charge under the hood of his car.... :shock:

This case was with an Astro charger. It was one of the first LiPo chargers; actually the one I have was a Nicad charger, that I swapped out a chip to make it a LiPo charger. It will auto sense the number of cells, and charge accordingly. No real safety features like the modern chargers have. I have used this charger since 2004ish with no problems.

The issue this time was I attached a partially charged pack as I put storage charges on my packs at the end of the season. It is a known issue with the Astro chargers that in some cases a partially charged pack will initially show the proper number of cells, but a short time later, it will bump up the number of cells by 1. I'm certain this is what happened as when I put the pack on the charger, it said 3 cells... As it was the first time this year that most of us were out at the field, we had a lot of catching up to do so to speak, so I forgot to check and make sure that the charger was still at 3 cells. After the incident, the charger said 4 cells, and had an over voltage error.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Pickpockets also frequented the crowds who gathered to watch men being hanged for pick pocketing.
    Some people just have to learn the hard way :)

I used to use a Pyrex dish for charging. But now I use a safe to charge my lipos in and that seems to work good. After seeing one go up you have a greater respect for what they could do.
    Mark and Trish