1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

foamlvr's absence

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by foamlvr, Jul 4, 2010.

1. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Hey guys and gals,

I'm not gone. I got knocked down, but not out.

My daughter graduated from highschool early June. :D I gave most of my attention to her graduation.

About a week later, when everything was dying down, and getting wrapped for the graduation, my house was robbed. Not only were we robbed, but it happened while we were in bed asleep!! They got my laptop, XBox 360, 2 coolers, and about 100 DVDs. We think they used the coolers to carry the DVDs.

The following week my daughter was in a car accident with her boyfriend. The boyfriend wasn't hurt, but my daughter had a severe laceration to her left arm, bruised ribs, and a mild concussion. The accident was my daughters fault (she was screwing around and tried to get into a moving car). I spent that night in the emergency room, the next day at the doctor's and on the phone with the whole world trying to explain what happened. To protect her boyfriend, she lied about what happened (said she fell down a flight of concrete steps). So besides being busy trying to keep Dr appointments, I have to deal with a bunch of people who are very angry about the lies. I'm doing my best to keep perspective, and make sure my daughter's health come first, but dealing with all the angry family and friends (some of whom are world class drama queens) is really wearing on my nerves. Anyhow, after several Dr visits and only one return trip to the emergency room (fast moving infection) the daughter's arm is healling just fine. We are going to the Dr Tuesday for another check up (maybe remove some of the stiches).

I'm now working on my new computer, which doesn't even have Sketchup on it yet. I lost all of my Sketchup files from the last year. I have cut files on another cpu but none of the drawings. The cut files are mostly prototypes that I wouldn't use again anyway. Maybe this will teach me to do backups :roll: .

July has been fairly drama free so far.

Talk to you later, and sorry for the vent.

Jeff

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

foamlvr, man, hang in ther.....things always have a way to work out somehow....the old monkey knows....peace, randy.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Jeff, I'm glad to hear nobody in the house was bothered or hurt during the robbery, they just took your stuff. Stuff can be replaced, people cannot.
    And I'm glad to hear your daughter's arm is mending - I hope the lesson she learned about gravity will stay in her mind.
    Is there anything any of us can do to help you recover some of the lost files or anything like that?

4. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Wow Jeff, you were a busy man... Thank you for sharing this with us because as a Dad and very over protective at that, I always wonder what it will be like when my Kids get older and in trouble. :oops: I just hope I dont over react but am concerned for there safety at all costs!

I wish you all the best and for a speedy recovery for your Daughter, you are a better man than I because I may be sitting in jail if a boy was involved in any Danger to my Child, it takes two to tango and Im sure they both new they were in the wrong :eek: but I am short to react on my animal instinct :shock:

Many Blessings!! :p
    John

5. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Thanks, Randy, Dennis, and John

The stuff was just stuff, and I barely miss it now. The daughter's boyfriend lent me an old beat up XBox360. I bought a Wii to compensate. Some of the DVDs were limited editions, but nothing I can't find used. Unless cut files can be converted back to Sketchup, they're gone (unless the police find my computer). I have the airplanes to measure from at least.

The important thing is that my daughter is going to be ok. The cut is on the top of her left forearm. She is a guitar player, and we were worried that she might lose some use of the last 3 fingers on her left hand, but they move fine, and she has no loss of feeling anywhere except right below the cut.

As far as being a better man, I don't know. If I'd been there I probably would have jumped in front of the car myself, then if I survived that, pounded the poor guy into a pulp. I've experienced the animal thing a couple times, it aint pretty, and I've always been ashamed.

Thanks again guys

Jeff

6. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Jeff, it's good to hear from you and thank you for letting us know what's been going on. Usually, things like this happen in groups and then everything is fine for a long time. Hopefully, you have made it through to the other side of all of this.

It is really incredible that you got robbed while you were in the house. That must have creeped you out for a while. It is a blessing that you slept through it though because someone might have gotten hurt. As for your daughter, we are glad to hear that she is well on her way to recovery.

Mark and Trish

7. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Thanks Trish,

We were creeped out for a while and I admit, I still am a little. I used to work the night shift, and we think it was someone who knew that. The fact that there were two cars in the drive, and that they were so quiet says different though. They dropped a butterfly knife on the back step (a knife that is flashy but pretty much useless for anything but showing off or opening letters, a skilled user can flip one around like a pair of nunchucks, but a seasoned criminal would never carry one). I figure that if I had waken up, I probably would have tried to stop them, then whoever they were would have panicked, and tried to use that knife, and who knows where that would have led. So I am very grateful we slept through it.

Jeff

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Man it sounds like when it rains it pours huh.
    Back when I lived on my own in Virginia about 14 yrs ago my place was robbed but I wasn't home when it happened. It's not a good feeling at all and I'm sure it's even worse in your situation. My story ended with the cops actually finding the person who did it and most of my belongings being returned to me. I was shocked to get my stuff back and to find out it was someone who I knew...sad. I hope the cops will be able to do the same for you, or at least catch the person who did it.
    I wish the best for your daughter too and am glad she's doing better.

As far as your files... If you have the gcode files(which it sounded like you do) you can convert them to dxf files and import them back into Sketchup.
    Here is the link for ya. http://phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=393&p=2952&hilit=cnc+to+dxf#p2952

9. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I hate a thief!!! :twisted: with a passion. If they are caught they should have fish hooks rammed through their toe nails then string em' upside down from a telephone pole and let the crows catch copperheads and drop em' on top of them until they get so heavy that the rope breaks and they land in the back of a garbage truck filled to the brim with hyperemic needles with no lids on them.

Glad your daughter is doing better and sorry to hear of your losses.

I shoulda been a judge :roll:

10. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

If you do that remember to offset all your lines smaller by 1/2 of the bit size you cut with or it will not be the same size
    For instance if you cut a 1/4 by 1 slot and using an 1/8 bit your slot will come out to 5/8 by 1 1/8 being the offset that the phlatcode uses depending on bit diameter.