1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Fred's Projects

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by Fred Pena, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Fred Pena

Fred Pena New Member

Man I'm all over stuff like a mexican jumping bean, have like 6 unfinished projects all going at once. Not the best way to do things I know but cant help myself I get bored easy.
    Lately have been really into Burnelli's lifting body aircraft, http://www.burnelli.com/wp/, very interesting reading that covers airline safety issues, patent stealing, & of course his designs.

These are all still in the design stage havent made protos yet, but thought id share anyway-

What do you get when u cross a GB888a with a polaris? This-

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] GB888a.skp (689 KB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] burnelli-fighter.skp (293.1 KB)Â

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I like the GB888 and see no reason why it would not fly. If anything it looks like it would fly really well.

3. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Should fly fine, CG might be a bit tricky with the canard and what looks like a lifting body

4. Leandro

Leandro New Member

super cool man. can't wait to see the finish product. keep going. you have a fan here :banger:

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:fantastic: These are great Fred! Thank you
    Mark and Trish

6. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

The twin edf40 project is solid. You could even reduce the wing area and add more sweep to adjust for optimum battery/CG placement. Assuming a loading under 20 oz/sg.ft. Twin rudders will reduce the need to aileron differential. Arch that center, It'll do a lot of work. try a 3%arc with the high point at 40%

The GB38's will be pitchy at speed and wing waggy at high alpha in all but sub 5 oz/sq.ft territory. Adding a flaring gusset to transition from fuse to wing will help give a smoother transition between those conditions. Tapering the nose will help solve more of that issue till you wind up with a euro fighter float plane. At that point the center of mass vs. center of drag vs. trust line would make setup tricky and the flight envelope at a given weight and power package very narrow.

Back to original shape, you can removed the motor power pod and center tail to clean up the top wing turbulent flow area, add 160% to each wing-let area, make the fuse profile more 8% Drela in the first 80% then add 3% upturn sweep the last 20%. Gusset all wing fuse transitions. Bump the loading to +20 oz/sg.ft and chuck it off a slope into a 20mph wind. With good elevon control surface defection your going to rock on both fast and still hand catch it slow with a great flat spin stall that it may not exit unless left at neutral control surface.

Disclaimer. I'm not an educated aircraft designer, but I did stay at a Motel 6 a lot. :lol:

:02cents:

7. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

:smart: lol :doubleup:

8. Fred Pena

Fred Pena New Member

Thanks for the awesome info Tbird, although I had to read it like 3 times before it started to make sense of it, went right over my head :? Obviously little understanding of advanced aerodynamics. I really aprecciate the input though because I just dont want to spend a lot of time trying to make a plane with design probs fly well, so I believe Ill go with the Burnelli fighter for now, because it seems it will be the easier of the 2 to get to fly.

So, I understand about the wing sweep changing the cg, and have no prob with it if thats what needs to be to make it fly well, I really dont care about scale, I want my planes to look cool & fly better, so if changes need to be made so be it. I did scale up the wing, rudders & Hstab by 20% over the 3 view I used.

Over my head again :oops: I assume your talking about the bottom of the fuse? to get more lift from the lifting body?

Really appreciate the help, saves me the time of building 10 prototypes then giving up discusted:x