1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Gcode problems after fixing cut lines in google sketchup

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by s009smj, Jul 12, 2009.

1. s009smj

s009smj New Member

The attached sketchup file is the fuselage of a puddle monster sea plane that I plan to post once finished. Also attached are the good and the bad CNC files. If you look at the CNC file in mach you'll see that there are dashed lines were they should be solid lines. Also the cut lines do not follow the fuselage. This is a strange one maybe a bug?? Please help!
    Running:
    Sketchup 7.0.10247
    Mach3 R3.043
    Phlatscript V0.918

The screen below is a non-worked up sketchup file.

Hopefully you can see what I'm trying to achive.
    InsideCut in the center, FoldCuts in purple, and then an outside cut around the fuselage.

When outside cuts lines are added to the fuselage they cross the lines of the part. When I attempt to fix the resulting gcode output gets all out of wack. I used a combination of the eraser tool and the move tool to reconnect the end points of the cut line.

Here is a look at the gcode in mach. This does not produce a good part.

If the outside cut lines are not fixed the file actually looks pretty good, but is not perfect. Really this is a usable part except for cutting out some extra foam on the nose.
    Attached files BadWorkedUpTest.cnc (7.6 KB)Â Example_Part.skp (23.7 KB)Â GoodWorkedUp.cnc (6.2 KB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

This is just an artifact of the offset tool in Sketchup which also happens to be how phlatcode makes outside cut lines.

For sharp angles like this, about the only think you can do is manually edit it. Delete the cut paths that extend too far out and fill any areas you may need to with a stoke line and mark it as an outside cut line.

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Exactly what Flash said. That is unfortunately how Sketchup deals with offsets. The other thing you can do is create a radius in there that will accept the offset. After the part cuts out you can just use the razor to cut it the rest of the way.

4. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

You could put a 1/4" or twice the bit size line in there to make it SQ. like this. I checked the Gcode of above picture and it was ok.

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG]

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Yep that works good too. :)

6. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I do what ET mentioned, it seems to work good with that work around.