1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

GRBL or Ramps (w/Marlin)?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by Boarder101, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Boarder101

Boarder101 New Member

Been scratching my head over this - but thought I had finally got the answers I needed - the decision was to go with an Arduino UNO board, paired with a 'CNC shield' so I can use the A4988 drivers ive already got - and then load GRBL onto it.

However, just been clicking around in the settings menu and found the:

"Force all g-codes for Marlin" statement.

By activating this, would that mean I could put the exported file onto an SD card, and plug it straight into a RAMPS1.4 board ive got flashed with Marlin for use on a 3d printer I have without any need for modifications? (just disconnect the board from my printer and plug the steppers in from the mill)

This forum, the youtube videos, and the help-sheet have been fantastic. I have everything I need now - apart from a functioning board to actually begin using the mill!

Josh

Attached Files:

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

It might mean what it says in the help/manual (big blue question mark in the toolbar) <-:
    Code:
    Force all G-codes on for Marlin
    FALSE (default) = use optimized G-code output that does not repeat G commands if they are not needed
    TRUE = force output of G code on all lines, useful for Marlin firmware that requires this.

However, I was recently told that there are some more things that Marlin needs in the G-code so you may NOT to be able to 'just run the code'.

Problem is that Marlin does not adhere to the G-code standards much, they have left out a bunch and customized a bunch, so it only really works well with the slicers that have customized their output to match what a 3D printer needs,, and Marlin in particular.

Therefore I advise you to keep going with the Uno+Shield+GRLB. 4988 drivers are very cheap so do get some extras to put permanently in the CNCshield, it will save many headaches down the road. Swapping a controller between machines can be done, but is a pain, there will always be some setting you forget to reset and then waste a bunch of materials , time etc.

go for it!