1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Help! I need some guidance here

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by jonquinn, Aug 23, 2011.

1. jonquinn

jonquinn Member

So I am done with my phlatprinter 3 and I am ready to cut some foam. I thought that my first self designed project would be to cut a template for a bed that I am working on. I figured what better and more precise way to cut an arc (or two of them) for a crest rail for the bed's headboard. I tried drawing the arc with a long t-square and string line but there was too much stretch in the string, and the drawn lines were very uneven. Since this is some thick and wide cherry boards I'll be using for this I can't be wasting any - I only have enough for this project right now. Once I get them template cut in foam, I'd probably cut it in 1/4" mdf as the hardboard would be more durable and not deflect when I run the router bit bearing along it, as the foam probably would.

So I made my simple drawing in sketchup, but from here, I don't think I'm close yet to getting a cut file done. I did run some add-ins, but I'm certain its not ready, in fact I'm stuck. Things like how big the sheet to cut will be (where do I tell the what that is - say for now it will be enough sheets of FFF to make the 60" long template, or eventually a sheet of MDF, tabs (I don't think what I have in there is correct - look too big). How does the cutter know what direction to travel? I'm sure there's more.

I have a copy of the template attached here. Now I don't want anyone to finish it for me - that won't help me learn. But could someone be good enough to walk me through the next steps I need to do to get the pattern ready to cut? If you could give me an outline or tell me what other add-ins I need to use to make this work, I'd be most grateful. And hopefully that can all translate into flying model plans/cut files once I get this project done. Or maybe that sort of tutorial already exists on here and I've missed it?

The bed is cherry, from some trees I cut down and have been drying for several years. The arched rail is going to be about 1-3/4" thick, the legs I think I have milled to at least 2", maybe 2-1/2" (been a while since I cut them). I will have some curly maple veneer inset in the inside panel of the head board - for that I'll be resawing the maple (about 1/8" thick), and veneering it onto mdf or maybe some good quality birch ply with a vacuum veneer press I built from plans and parts on JoeWoodworker.com). When its done I'll be sure to post a photo of the head board. Attached files bedrail.skp (37.3 KB)Â

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

You know what, jonquinn, I think you just discovered a bug in SketchUCam. These tabs are huge and it shouldn't be like this. The problem is that your arc is made out of 12 segment and SUC is using the whole segment as a tab. I've changed it to 120 segments and the tabs are smaller.

Any how, lets start in the beginning. Do yourself a favor and go to 'view' on the top menu bar and then to 'Edge Style' and uncheck the 'Profiles'. It will make the lines thinner.

Your drawing is partially outside the safe area. You have to change it in the parameters in SketchUCam. Its the left-most button of SUC. Change it from 42" to whatever your foam length is.

To get the tabs smaller click on the arc and go to 'windows' on the to menu bar and then to 'Entity Info'. In the window that comes up change the segments from 12 to 120, Now when you'll make the tabs they will be smaller.

3. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Yoram streered you in the right direction. I had an issue with arcs too early on....they looked pretty smooth on Sketchup but when I cut them the were obviously just a few straight lines. Wierd how SUC tabbed them....I hadn't seen that before.

If you right click on the arc/circle and click "Entity Info" it'll provide quick access to the segmentation variable.

I split the model down the middle to fit on a standard FFF sheet after I changed the segments to 120. So now each section has 60 segments.

For the gantry verses roller movement:

When looking at your design in Sketchhup bottom to top of the screen is the gantry moving. Left to right on the screen is the roller moving. Attached files bedrail_update.skp (120.1 KB)Â

4. jonquinn

jonquinn Member

thanks! I'll see what I can come up with.