1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong hobby store

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by Chuck, May 1, 2010.

1. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Has anyone else noticed that Hobby King (Hobby City) in Hong Kong is constantly out of stock on everything anymore? I build a lot of foamies and use lots of batteries, speed controls, motors and servos. Hobby King has always been a economical source for this stuff. I have to admit, they are too slow in shipping for my taste, but things were cheap. Lately (by this I mean for the past four months) virtually every electric motor, motor mount, or battery that I use is noted as zero stock and back ordered. It is suicide to order anything from them that is on backorder. They take your money right now and maybe won't ship the stuff for weeks, if then. My guess is that hobby shops and show dealers all over the world are buying this stuff up as fast as they get it in stock. Maybe fifty or one hundred units at a time. This means the little guy (me) get lost in the dust. It is my belief if Hobby King does not start to limit the number of items per order, they will soon be out of business because nobody I know can get anything they want or need from them. Now that I have complained, I feel better.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Hmmm - I've read this post before. Sure wish I could remember where. :?

Anyway, I order often from HobbyKing (just received a box-full of goodies yesterday) and I just make sure that nothing in my order is on backorder or in a "negative" amount of stock. Their stock is changing all the time, so if you can't find the Turnigy battery you ordered last time, go look at the Zippy or Rhino or PolyQuest equivalent. BTW, at their volume of business, it will be a long time before they go out of business, and long before that they will have forced Tower Hobbies and Hobby People into pricing their products a lot more competitively, so it's all good. :D

(it was on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:08 pm that I'd read it before.)

3. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

It's that time of the year, spring always drains their inventory

4. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I imagine you are right. Thankfully, I have found another source which is in the USA with similar prices. I agree that in the spring the demand is higher. That being said, I have been waiting for motor mounts to get in stock for six months (they have been negative every day I have checked during that time). Also The outrunner motors I prefer have been in negative numbers for four months. I like the stuff, just can't get it anymore. I have also noted if you pay via PayPal, and I do, PayPal withholds payment to them for about 14 days which further delays the order. If you pay via the Orient CASHOO, that does not happen. If they can force Tower and others to get real on battery prices, that will be a plus for sure.

Chuck

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

HK has an "email me" button just below the stock quantities bar - If you put your email address there, they will mail you immediately when the item arrives.
    Lately, they have also been sending me emails for things on my "Wish Lists". I use them to keep lists of the things that interested me, to order later, and have a separate list for "helicopter", "foamie motors & stuff", "tools", etc.
    btw, when I use PayPal, it sends them the money immediately. Maybe I have a different type of PayPal account than you, as I was using it for LOTS of RC-related sales on RCU and eBay a couple years ago, so I had to make it a "premier" account (or whatever they call it).

6. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Dennis, thanks, I will check out the email stuff. I used to get instant payment via PayPal, but no longer. I do not know what kind of account I have but it drafts my checking account directly.

Chuck