1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

IFLYOS's Trailer Thread

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by iflyos, Aug 8, 2009.

1. iflyos

iflyos Member

Took me long enough, but I am finally starting a thread about my trailer...

6x12" extended height Leonard Trekker. Single axle, 36" side door, and rear ramp door.

So, it started life as a typical cargo hauler..until I got it!

Here are a few pictures....

I have more pictures, showing the inside painted, and of it's first trip while being used for an amateur radio field vehicle..I just gotta find them!

Mark, Trish, and Randy..Thanks again for the decals!!! I am so happy to have them on there..matter of fact, they are the first ones on the trailer!!

Tim
    AG4RZ Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Tim, looks like a sweet trailer...the radio boxes fastened down with Velcro?? also nice vinyl install....ya got lined up with rivets real nice. great job, peace, randy.

3. iflyos

iflyos Member

Randy, actually there are some screw hooks in the shelf the radios are on, and I run a light duty ratchet strap across them, from the sides. I also put some of that non-slip pad like you use in a tool box where the radios sit. Towed it 500 miles round trip a couple weekends ago, and they didn't move an inch!

I tried real hard on the vinyl...didn't want to mess it up!! Now I have to figure out how I wnat to do the rest of the trailer..what decals where, and such!

Tim
    AG4RZ

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice setup Tim!
    Good size trailer.

5. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Man, Tim, this trailer is so cool. I'm green with envy. With this kind of a trailer I don't mind being 'trailer trash'. :D

Good work!

6. iflyos

iflyos Member

Thanks Shaun & Yoram! I still have allot of work to do to get it like i want it, but I have been planning for having a trailer again for years, so I have had WAY to much time to figure out what I want to do to one.

Since it serves double duty, I have to make sure that whatever I do for the airplanes won't impede it's use for amateur radio stuff, and that makes everything kinda hard. I wanted the racks for the foamies to be removable, so I could maximize space for when the radio bench is in place. I still have to install unistrut on the left wall, which will be used as the basis for the giant scale plane racks, as well as the removable radio bench.

I also have to get the wife to paint some airplanes on the walls now that they have a coat of paint on them, and I have to figure out what I want to do to the floor. I think I will probably just do peel and stick white vinyl tiles, for ease of installation and maintenance.

AS soon as the little one takes a nap, I will get the requested full side shot showing the decal placement on the trailer. I can tell you all that it is centered over the wheel well, and will be just below the "Guru Aviation" decal (When the "Guru" decal gets here, that is!) Both sides of the trailer will be the same when all is said and done!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Looking good, Tim. Got to ask, what do you do with amateur radio stuff in a mobile trailer?

Also, can you tell me how that sticker goes on? Randy said he cut it with a vinyl cutter, so if it's one piece I wondering how that's done.

-Kwok

8. iflyos

iflyos Member

LOL, Kwok...I like to operate portable, so I set up a low power station in the trailer. Also, every year, the last full weekend in June is Field Day, which is an emergency preparedness exercise, and radio clubs from around the country go out to sites like parks, shopping mall parking lots, and other types places you might have to stage if there were an emergency (Like hurricane Katrina) and set up radio communications to provide commo for relief agencies, and to also provide a way to get health and welfare traffic in and out of an area that otherwise is cut off from the rest of the "normal" communication systems.

So, the airplanes come out, the radio bench goes in, and we set up three stations in the trailer for it's first outing this year. The rest of the club had their gear under the picnic shelter of the park we use, which also happens to be the same city park that one of my airplane clubs fly's at. We have a 300 foot paved runway there, as well as AC and a pit line shelter that the City provides...(convenient that we do the radio drill at the flying field, huh? ;) )

The decal is just like all the other vinyl decals I have used in the past...the letters and shapes are cut on the cutter, and then Randy applied transfer tape (a clear low tack tape) to the top of the letters. When you get it, you peel off the backing, and the decal stays on the transfer tape. Then you line up the decal, and carefully apply it to the surface. I use some auto body filler spreaders and run them over the transfer tape to be sure the decal goes on well. When you are happy with that, you remove the tape, and you are done. Sometimes you have to go back and work out an air bubble or two, but it isn't bad.

The letters and shapes are individual pieces of vinyl, and after Randy cuts them, he has to "weed" the finished product, much like we pop the parts out of foam after we cut them. Weeding is where you take the unwanted material out, leaving just the letters and shapes that you plan on using.

Hope this helps!!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

(can anyone tell I have REALLY wanted my own vinyl cutter for a while now?)

9. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

It looks great Tim! Thank you for placing our sticker on it and thank you Randy for making it. Very cool. We love it! It looks like you have tons of space and it's set up nice and neat. You'll have a lot of fun with that trailer. Great find. Congratulations.

10. iflyos

iflyos Member

No, thank you guys for letting me!!! I am proud to help introduce the modeling community to the PhlatPrinter!!! I feel pretty darn lucky to be part of the community!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

11. iflyos

iflyos Member

Some of you wanted to see the full side shot. I finally got a chance to take a couple of pictures yesterday after getting the "Guru" decals put on.

I hate it took so long, but since it is kinda hard to get it in and out of it's parking place, I didn't want to hook up and move it till I had a reason to...

On to the pictures!!

Tim
    AG4RZ Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

looks good tim....man them big graphics start gettin tricky when installin them. way to go...randy.

13. iflyos

iflyos Member

Thanks, Randy...another buddy of mine cut those for me, and man it was something watching him put them on. I was able to trade out some stuff to get them done, and I relly thing I got the better end of the deal, lol!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

14. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Tim!!! I can't believe we got that kind of real estate on your trailer! Man that was really too kind.
    The GURU logo is so sweet you guys have to love how that came out!
    It looks simply awesome brother! This one is getting framed.
    Thank you so much for this.
    Mark and Trish

15. theothers

Tim,

Your logo is awesome!! Can't wait to see where this new endevour takes you. Very exciting. Thank you for placing our logo on your trailer (once again). It really is an honor to keep such company.

Mark and Trish

16. iflyos

iflyos Member

Hey guys! I am glad you are pleased with the placement. My reasoning is that without the PP then Guru Aviation wouldn't be possible. As far as where it takes us, Chris and I just want to make a little change to keep ourselves supplied with foam.

We are working on a couple planes for the other PhlatHeadz as well...after all, we all are in this together, right?

Tim
    AG4RZ

17. theothers

Love it Tim. It's not the Phlatprinter that makes it possible though... :)

Can't wait to see what you guyz come up with. Looking forward to flying one myself :D

18. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

This isn't fair somebody having a really nice portable set up like that. :lol: :lol: Man that is sweet Tim. I had thoughts of an old stepvan to set up lie that. Just jump in and hit the field up.