1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Jelly Fish

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by kram242, Jan 6, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

The Jelly Fish is an attempt to create a craft that basically when powered up rises and spins upward until the power is cut then it floats like a parachute back downward, and the process is repeated which give it the appearance of a jelly fish while flying. There are no controls on this model besides the motor speed, but you could add a tilting servo to the the motor to give it a little direction as you throttle up.
    Just an experiment and I never really had it working, I think I needed to lower the center post so that the battery could sit lower in reference to the entire craft to keep it form wanting to flip when the motor was applied.
    This would be a good candidate for a counter rotating prop setup.
    If nothing else its a good example of interlocking pins for joint:)

If someone daring builds this please add your pics and experience here
    Thanks
    Mark

Attached files JellyFish.zip (868.5 KB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

You have way too much time on your hands Mark :p

I may just have to build this just the same. I have a fellow flyer friend who is always trying crazy stuff like this and he would go ballistic just seeing it, whether it flys or not.

What do you suggest using for the parachute material? I don't have any kites to tear up, but I expect it would be something along those lines.

I suppose ripstop nylon is what I should be looking for? I've never worked with it. I assume it can be glued to the foam easily?

3. kram242

lol :) yeah this is really and old design but I figured why not share it, I am slowly converting all my designs over for you guys to use.
    I used trashbags :) but that adds weight so I think the ripstop nylon would work better. I think a good material would be that Tyvek they use for house siding would work good too.
    That mey even be ripstop nylon?
    Hope he has fun with it and if he gets it to work please post here it would be cool to see a video of this one in action! :D
    Mark

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I saw something like this on Discovery quite some time back. Is that where you got the inspiration from?
    The one I saw was extremely light and moved through the air as a jellyfish moves through the water. It was absolutely amazing. The guy had some other unique flying designs too.

I might have a go at this one down the road. Looks cool man!

5. kram242

Thanks man, I am not sure where this idea came from to be honest its been so long ago now :D
    I might have fallen asleep with the Discovery channel on and had a foamie dream :mrgreen:
    Mark

6. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Here is a photo of the still uncompleted jellyfish.

I've not had time to put a motor and/or material on it yet, but am thinking that a good way to balance it would be to hang a nylon thread with a 2 or 3oz fishing weight from the bottom center to act like a kite tail in keeping the unit upright. Attached files [​IMG]

7. kram242

Cool pic thanks for sharing Flash

That is a good idea! I was trying to lower the battery so that I would not have to add more weight but I never got that far, I wish you better luck with your version. I think it would be really cool to see this thing flying/falling :D

8. RC of the North

RC of the North Member

Flash, just remember pics/vid.. :D