1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Kwok's MKII build

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter MKII BUILD LOGS' started by kyyu, Jul 31, 2009.

1. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hi all, I finally got my first part built. So it's a good time to start my build log.

I did my inventory and I had every part, except for the "Lid plexiglass windshield". I pm M&T and the manufacturer mail them out the next day. Where else can you get service like that? :D More to come.

-Kwok Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Ok, I am building the stand and have a question on the orientation of the back piece (#89), where the rotozip flex shaft enters. I've got three holes on one side and don't know which side they should go on? This wasn't mentioned in the build videos and I couldn't see them in the videos, either. See the picture below:

[answer] Got my question answered. The part position in the pictures is correct, as seen from the back. Holes are on the left side, same as the electronics.

Attached files [​IMG]

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Finished the stand today. Remember to sand your tabs. It's going to make your life much easier. Unlike the previous mdf, this stuff has paper on one side. That side doesn't cut well and there is more prep work to clean it up. I decided to change the build order, so you didn't have to move parts that had already been glued. The 1st half of the pictures are the dry fit, where I tested it. I did have a problem with a wood part cnc cut wrong, from the factory. I hope their code doesn't have an error in it?

I think there were two missing drywall screws. You need 4 for each leg, for a total of 8. And the lid hinges need 3 each, for a total of 6. That's 14. They were labeled something like "(12) hinge screws", so I think there is a error in the numbers which needs to be fixed. I just added two of my own drywall screws, for the legs. 2 1/4" (vs 2 1/8") work fine and don't stick out the other side.

And one more thing. The build video saids, you can put the tray in or leave it out, but my tray can't be taken out. So it's best to put it in, during the build. It almost comes out, but just can't quite make the corner. Maybe chamfering the tray rear bottom edge would let you put it in?

[Tip for viewing movies]
    The old windows media player (now called classic) had a nice feature where you just hit the space bar and it paused. With the current media player, it's very annoying to hit ctrl-P or use the mouse to pause. Even though windows has media player classic, "mplayer2.exe", it would not play the wmv files on my fresh winxp install. So I installed, "Quicktime Alternative", which is much better for playing mov files instead of the real quicktime player, anyways. Quicktime Alt, uses "windows movie player classic" to play .mov movies. After you install it, you can use it to play wmv files also. When you install it, be sure to check the box, that saids install media player classic. Just for the heck of it, even thought mplayer2.exe is already on your computer. Then just associate wmv files with the "meida player classic" in the quicktime alt folder. And presto, you can now use the space bar to pause your movie during your build. I used the "QuickTime Alternative 2.9.0" from here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/qui ... native.htm

Now another video tip, if you want to play that new .mp4 mach3 setup video that Mark & Trish just mailed out. My window's media play won't play it. Now if you install this one thing, you will never have to install any other video or audio codec again. It is actually a DirectShow filter instead of a codec, and supposed to take less cpu power for viewing certain things. Also, has a nice post postprocessor feature, that works in real time to clean up poor quality videos. Get the FFDShow filter here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDshow.htm Probably doesn't matter, but I went with this version: "FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2009-08-04 MMX "

Attached files nd_0000_pc.jpg" class="gc-images" title="stand_0000_pc.jpg" style="max-width:300px" /> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 620-stand_0301_ready.jpg">[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Saved for later #3

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Saved for later #4

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Saved for later #5

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Saved for later #6

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Saved for later #7

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Saved for later #8

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Saved for later #9

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Saved for later #10

12. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Nice Kwok. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to your next update and pics of your completed MK II !

13. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Looks good Kyyu :mrgreen:

I also had the same problem with piece 88 and did the same fix. :eek: LOL I just read your post on My Build log.

Cheers
    E-T

14. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hopefully we have part 88 taken care of. Thank you guys for working through it.
    The build is really looking nice kwok! keep up the good work :)
    Mark

15. kram242

Kwok how are you making out with your build?

16. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I'm still chugging away. Probably will finish up my sketchup drawings by this weekend and can get back to work on the real thing.

17. kram242

Sounds great Kwok, looking forward to see your build :)
    BTW I added your stand pic to the header for now with the light streaming through the Phlatprinter lettering :D
    Thanks
    Mark

18. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Great, I be on the lookout to see if I can spot it. :D