1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Laminate on the MKII

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter MKII MODIFICATIONS' started by navionflyer, Jan 12, 2011.

1. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I know that tvcasualty put a laminate on the top surface of his MKII. Has anyone else done it too? Or do you know how thick the laminate he put on was. And also if there was any issue with adding thickness to the surface.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Can't speak for the MKII, but on my MKI I put on a sheet of UHMW. It was about 1/32" thick, and was sticky backed. Was a PAIN in the keaster to cut out as it is SUPER hard, but it is also SUPER slippery. Slippery is good for material sliding cross it, but not for starting a drill or saw. Once I put it on, cutting ply and balsa was MUCH better. It didn't seem to make a difference one way or another regarding the height.

Here is a general page from McMaster... http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyethylene-film/=akbfcc

Can't say for sure what item# I had as I got it from work. It was some scrap after they resurfaced the out feed for sawn logs. The stuff last a really long time with logs beating up against it, so it will out last the machine. Good thing as the adhesive is really aggressive. They basically had to burn the old stuff off at work.

3. MartinT

MartinT Member

What about (electrical) sanding the surface smooth? Or using monocote type foil to cover the top?

Regards,
    Martin

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Tim,
    TV went and got some of the Formica you find at Lowe's for counter tops. He used contact cement to put it on and then routed out the holes and edges.
    Mark and Trish